Sign in to follow this  
Dynaflash8

Famous Pitcher chooses Hot Rod - Ugh!

Posted today on Yahoo is a photo of Phillies pitcher Roy Halliday with his new "collector car" It's just an example of another old car ripped apart and ruined for the generations by turning it into a "hot rod".

With big time publicity getters doing this to the hobby of collecting and RESTORING antique automobiles, it just leads more others down that garden path.

What a shame

The header should be "chooses" and I can't correct it. My typing is slipping with old age. :)

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Looks to be a '32 Ford with a Chrysler Hemi, a Duvall windshield........and a bunch of stuff missing.

Looks like a 32 Ford. Probably glass body mail order type hot rod. The wheels don't really do anything for it.

What set me off was that Yahoo's original posting talked about Halliday's new "CLASSIC" car.

I'm sure the traditional hot rod guys were as offended by that monstrosity as we are. Having money does not necessarily give you taste.

Let's all be glad that this is the United States of America. Where we are free to choose to do what we want within the spirt and letter of the law.

His money, his choice. :)

And good old Freedom of Speech gives us all the right to talk about what a POS we are looking at.

I doubt there are any old parts on this car and was built with all new reproduction parts so nothing to worry about.

Ya gotta remember mainstream media like Yahoo doesn't really know anything about old cars. Far as they're concerned, ALL old cars are "Classics". At least that mistaken mindset offsets the other extreme that thinks they're all clunkers and should be outlawed.

But agreed, this is probably a catalog car with exception of the early Hemi- and that may well be a "new" Hemi dolled up a bit.

Heh. "Cougar Magnet".

I guess now that Ford has dropped the Mercury line, "Cougar Magnet" could be a nameplate for the vehicle. More like "tractor pull" to me. But to each his own!

I doubt there are any old parts on this car and was built with all new reproduction parts so nothing to worry about.

Yup, Brand new classics being created one piece at a time from new parts are rolling out of the door everyday. :P

A true,"Full Classic" is another thing. :cool: Dandy Dave!

I dont know how they can call it a classic but hotrod would describe it,that thing would take way too much work to make it where I would like it and probably cheaper to start over.

don't know what you guys are bitching about,most likely a glass body on a new frame and late model parts so no old car was chopped up to make one. my 63 lesabre will be a mild custom with rear suicide doors,tube grill and fender skirts.hope i dont offend anyone,4 bufords from ct

Hello all.

Just chiming in here but I think any car, Restored, Custom, Driver, any car at all inspires the people that see it. Just a glance may spark a young persons interest. Who are we to say that only fully restored or fully original is acceptable?

Why is it not enough that everyone be free to do whatever they choose as long as they are enjoying driving, and perhaps twisting a wrench or two in support of a great hobby. Enthusiasts of all kinds, restorers, rodders, muscle car, etc contribute to the classic cars in some way shape or form.

I myself have been struggling with whether I will restore my 57 Buick Special Convertible to 100% original, or whether I will modify it at all.

To be honest, I am seriously considering an Art Morrison frame and suspension, new driveline, and modern amenities with a 100% original look to the exterior and interior.

Whether one agrees or not with the potential choice I have to consider the fact that the new upgrades would provide a car that I and my son can enjoy for many years to come, essentially a new car. One that would be 100% safe, ride like a new car, and have the respect from a visual standpoint for the design and style that Buick intended many years ago.

I should have the right to consider these choices and be respected for that right. It seems that there are many very knowledgeable people on this site. But it also seems that if a person has any thoughts of not doing 100% restoration that they are chastised for it. In my opinion that is too bad. It may cause very good car guys and gals to seek membership elsewhere and to not take notice of the club.

I myself have a completely original 1967 Camaro RS/SS that i am completely restoring 100% original. I am simply considering upgrades to the 57 to increase safety, ride, and comfort.

I dont think that that analysis should force me away from a great site with great people. As these cars age and upgrades become more efficient and less costly perhaps having a car saved and respected is better than having them scrapped as "too much investment to bother with".

Just my thoughts.

don't know what you guys are bitching about,most likely a glass body on a new frame and late model parts so no old car was chopped up to make one. my 63 lesabre will be a mild custom with rear suicide doors,tube grill and fender skirts.hope i dont offend anyone,4 bufords from ct

2 things:

#1. I don't think there are very many people who'd object to customizing a '63 Buick 4 door sedan. They're not very rare (yet), and the parts consumed and/or discarded in the process are not in really high demand. (However, adding suicide doors to the Buick is almost certainly not practically reversible, so I wouldn't consider your car to be a "mild custom". It sounds like a nice, interesting car, though.) Doing the same thing to a genuice '32 deuce coupe (which probably isn't the case here, see #2.), which are almost impossible to find, is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

#2. As far as fake cars go, I think of them as fake furs. If a woman goes around wearing a fake ocelot jacket she may not have killed any ocelots for it, but she certainly has shown an insensitivity to the act of doing so and may even encourage some (rich) fool to try and obtain a real one.* At the same time she's posing as something (rich) that she's not. Driving a fake car is posing as a "car guy". If your '32 Ford's cupholders are air conditioned to keep your Diet Coke cold then you're not exactly experiencing what driving a '32 Ford is all about, are you? This poseur perspective on the hobby is what's killing it, slowly.:(

(*Yes, I appreciate that the situation is a lot more complicated than that, and that manufactured hot rods allow reproduction items that genuine cars can use. That doesn't change the primary focus of the hot rod hobby, and the frequently competitive building of hot rods out of material that is dwindling for all of us.)

It might not be a chopped and channeled genuine deuce coupe that we're talking about, but it is the image of one. Image is important, even here.

Driving a fake car is posing as a "car guy".

Wow. That's pretty harsh. So all of these guys, some of whom have been building and driving "fake" cars for many years, like the Brizios, Magoo and others are posers and not real car guys? These guys have oil in their veins and are every bit as much car guys as anyone. Are the bike builders that are building HD clones without a single genuine HD part building fake bikes and are posers as well? Someone butchers up an old car and the antique car community gets riled up, and rightfully so. Someone builds a 32 Roadster (not a coupe, BTW) using all reproduction parts and there is still a, collective whining from the purists and accusations of some sort of conspiracy to encourage rich guys to seek out and destroy all of the remaining original cars and, as usual, killing the hobby. Is there any, irrefutable, evidence that the hobby is being killed or is it simply dying because the younger kids just aren't interested? Everyone under 30, with few exceptions, wants a Japanese car with a spoiler on the trunk lid and a Play Station at home

He's a BASEBALL player, give him credit for not spending his money on normal "sporting" pastimes.

Wow. That's pretty harsh. So all of these guys, some of whom have been building and driving "fake" cars for many years, like the Brizios, Magoo and others are posers and not real car guys? These guys have oil in their veins and are every bit as much car guys as anyone.

(I'm going to set aside the VERY likely possibility that this car was assembled commercially for the buyer, and address the critique of building and driving these cars as a hobbyist.)

As is implicit in the very statements 58Mustang makes, there is a difference between building a car and driving a car. Assembling anything is a science, and requires serious interest and skill on the part of the doer. While bolting together a kit or assembling a bunch of parts to one's own design is a different experience than rebuilding the past work of others that have gone on before, it is not something that one does with their eyes closed. It's a skill to be admired.

It's the end product of that process, and the dynamics of it's use, that I was commenting on. Having a car that is no different dynamically than everything else on the road I would find boring, In the 1950s/1960s real hot rods didn't act/sound/function exactly like then new Mustangs or Buicks. They held the users' interest beyond the wrench turning phase with an entertaining (and often difficult) driving experience.

Since then, as hot rods became the toys of the relatively well-off and are no longer the realm or rebellion, they have continually incorporated the newest technology of their era. This is mainly different from the era most modern hot rods emulate. As a result they become dated very quickly. Pick up any 1980s Street Rodder magazine and it's obvious that nearly all of those cars are as extinct as the Renault Alliances and LED watches in the ads. Today's tan soft leather seat is no different than the burgundy crushed velour of 1984, it's fate will eventually be the same.

There must be a reason why those cars disappear. I think I know why.

Ultimately, when you get behind the wheel, I believe they are (or at least become) dull.* Whether it is lifeless 1984 power steering and Blue Oyster Cult on the cassette or 2012 digital perfection cruise control and Adelle through your iPod, when there's little or nothing to distinguish the experience of driving one car from another it just can't hold the interest of a real driver for very long. If it does hold a person's interest, more power to them (but not enough that they consume real & rare historic cars, as was huge in the early 2000's). However I'm not sure I would describe that person as a "car guy".

=========================

(*And yes, I'm sure that driving this particular car is not as dull as most cars on the road today, but compared with similar 2012 cars [Mustang Boss 302, Camaro SS convertible, etc.], I think it's unlikely that there's much of an improvement there.)

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

Wow. That's pretty harsh. So all of these guys, some of whom have been building and driving "fake" cars for many years, like the Brizios, Magoo and others are posers and not real car guys? These guys have oil in their veins and are every bit as much car guys as anyone. Are the bike builders that are building HD clones without a single genuine HD part building fake bikes and are posers as well? Someone butchers up an old car and the antique car community gets riled up, and rightfully so. Someone builds a 32 Roadster (not a coupe, BTW) using all reproduction parts and there is still a, collective whining from the purists and accusations of some sort of conspiracy to encourage rich guys to seek out and destroy all of the remaining original cars and, as usual, killing the hobby. Is there any, irrefutable, evidence that the hobby is being killed or is it simply dying because the younger kids just aren't interested? Everyone under 30, with few exceptions, wants a Japanese car with a spoiler on the trunk lid and a Play Station at home

Not all of us under thirties want a spoiler! The hobby isn't dead, and to a new guy it looks like the internet opens up some great opportunities for sharing parts and advice.

I do look at new cars and wonder who the hell would go out of their way to restore them forty or fifty or more years down the line.

Dave@Moon said

"#2. As far as fake cars go, I think of them as fake furs. If a woman goes around wearing a fake ocelot jacket she may not have killed any ocelots for it, but she certainly has shown an insensitivity to the act of doing so and may even encourage some (rich) fool to try and obtain a real one.* At the same time she's posing as something (rich) that she's not."

Ocassionally some innocent spectator will say "Is that a replicar? While I know

it's just their way if starting a conversation, sometimes it starts a dialogue when I say "no, it's the real thing."

Once I had a woman tell me "you know they make fake cars that look like real ones." She had that "I challenge you" tone in her voice.

I replied that "it was in fact a real car, not a plastic reproduction and it was over 75 years old.

She insited that replica's were just the same as real cars.

I replied: "Yes, I understand some people like fake's. Some guys are happy with an infaltable plastic woman, but in cars and women I prefer the real thing".

She laughed and said she got it.