Sign in to follow this  
jmotes

47 Buick Super Eight Missing VIN

I bought a 47 Super Eight and the VIN on the registration and insurance paperwork going back almost 20 years does not match the plate on the passenger side under the hood over the body type plate. I can't find any other VIN on the car. I don't want to return this to the seller... Love the car, but worry about the legality. Any idea exactly where the other VIN's may be hiding?

Hi,

I've known a number of vintage cars that are titled to the engine number. As a matter of fact one of my cars is titled that way. I would suggest you check the engine number and see if that is the number on the title. Good luck. Carl

• Like 1

For an automotive neophyte, where would you tell him to go looking for that number? :)

Look for it on a raised boss on right side of the crankcase below pushrod cover near rear of motor.

Motor numbers for '47 were continued from the '46 models

and should be within these ranges:

Special Series 40 - 4558037-4 to 4999880-4 ("4" denotes Series 40);

Super Series 50 - 4558037-5 to 4999880-5 ("5" denotes Series 50);

Roadmaster Series 70 - 4558297-7 to 4999880-7 ("7" denotes Series 70).

Don't fret, there's plenty of room to get in there and find it!

TG

Found it! Thanks. So there's no issue with the registration having the engine number rather than the serial number on the right side plate?

I guess it might bed if you switch engines. I would think there should be a chassis number somewhere else on the chassis. Someone familiar with your age Buick should be able to help.

John

One of my cars and a friend of mine's cars are both titled with just the engine number. I guess if we needed to replace the engine we would need to redo the engine numbers, but both cars came from out of state (one Florida and the other California) into Ohio. Both were inspected and accepted by the registrars, so I wouldn't think you would have a problem.

I think they have to use a little leeway on old cars due to the systems in use years ago.

Between states not having titles and some states seemed like they preferred the idea of using the engine number for some reason.

You could always talk to some one at your licensing board and see what they said.

On my '49 Special you had to open the driver's door and it was up by the windshield. Did you look up there?

On my '49 Special you had to open the driver's door and it was up by the windshield. Did you look up there?

'49 was the first year that Buick switched the VIN tag to the A-Pillar post.

As others have said, there should be no issue with the Motor Number

being usd as a VIN. Some states are more strict than others.

Glad you found it jmotes.

TG

Wisconsin only used engine numbers into the early 50's. The officer I talked with said as long as it has a number and it is not removable.

Wisconsin only used engine numbers into the early 50's. The officer I talked with said as long as it has a number and it is not removable.

That's the thing with Buicks pre 49'. The number usually used to title the car is the number that is on a plate, most are removeable with 2 screws. Some used the engine and/or frame # to title by. Both of my 47 convertibles used the serial # tag, which is attached by two screws, not rivets. The body id # is attached by rivets and doesn't have any identifying #'s to title with. Only body style, etc. Matt

well my lovely Buick ID tag has been removed from the door pillow only the holes remain so I have got a 10K parts car what a load of crap any suggestions if I might ask to all?  

thanks to anyone who can assist

Gary

oh one last thing this is a 50 Buick S 70 Roadmaster with 42K on it nice shape unable to register what a screw job

The 50 was probably registered originally with the motor number. You may still be able to use the motor number. What did you get for paper work when you bought it ?

The 50 was probably registered originally with the motor number. You may still be able to use the motor number. What did you get for paper work when you bought it ?

Do you know anyone who lives in Wisconsin? They recently revised their process to be much more accommodating to old cars without titles. You may be able to register yours with the engine number, although the original VIN may be located elsewhere in a hidden location. You may want to investigate this.

All is not lost...this chart from one of my 1954 Red Books (Nat'l Used Car Market Report) shows the locations of Serial Numbers for your '50 Buick. What's missing from the door frame is also shown on the frame at position # 3.

If DMV has any doubt to its authenticity, go on ebay and buy a Red Book (1950-1956) to place in their hands as they evaluate your car. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Red-Book-Used-Car-Value-Guide-Market-Report-and-Trucks-/331591225942?hash=item4d34609256&vxp=mtr

post-87514-0-91035100-1439140583_thumb.j

Good luck!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)