1955 Pontiac

Just found a 55 Pontiac Starchief that has been stored for 40 years. It needs restored but for a 67989.9 mi auto its not to bad.The kicker is where does a person get restoration parts for this 55 and is $1000 to much to pay for it??

There are many vendors that handle 55 Pontiac parts, Ames, Performace Years are a few that come to mind. You can also join the Pontiac Oakland Club International (POCI) and for $25 a year you will receive a monthly magazine also with many vendors and nos parts. <A HREF="http://www.poci.org" TARGET=_blank>www.poci.org</A> is their web site.<P>You will also find that the flat glass, package tray, window parts including the flippers, weather stripping, door strikes, and many small misc parts, etc are common with the 55, 56 and 57 Chevy. The engine is Pontiac specific, period. <P>Its hard to tell you if it is worth $1,000 without looking at it but I can tell you from experience that you can vaporize $10K rather fast even doing most of the work yourself. A lot depends on what level of restoration you want to achieve. As always the higher the more money. For example, if you want all the chrome and stainless redone inside and out be prepared to spend at least 3 to 5 thousand. Good luck!

For parts, pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News. They'll have multiple vendors and individuals to serve you. Also, use the "parts" section of this discussion forum. As for value, this will depend on whether you have a 2- or 4-door, post, hardtop, or convertible. In any event, I don't think you can go wrong for $1000, if they can give you a good title. As the supply of Chevys from this era dries up, I look for more attention to be paid to the Buick/Olds/Pontiac offerings.

PHIL,<P>Ron makes a very good point about restoration costing alot of cash. I opted to buy a car that did not need restoration for that very reason. I could do alot of the work myself, but even then, alot of times you end up with more in it than you could ever get back out of it. That's ok if you never plan to sell. It's alot like houses, you get alot more for your buck, if you can find one you like that's already built. On the other hand, it would be nice for someone to restore the car and put it back in the "pool" of restored originals. I guess if cash flow isn't an issue, have at it and throw us some before and after photos while your at it. Good luck.<BR> wink.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0