64 SF Conv't trunk cardboard clips?

Got my beautiful blue cardboards from Fusick... now all I need is the proper clips... As mentioned in another post, they don't sell them or even know what they're supposed to look like (kinda' like me).

Anybody out there can steer me in the right direction? I'm not sure if they're at all visible when the boards are installed; but if I could get a picture of one of the clips, I'd at least have a clue as to what to look for. I'm betting if I had a picture of one, I could get something close from Restoration Specialities. This is the last piece I need for the trunk...

John

Got my beautiful blue cardboards from Fusick... now all I need is the proper clips... As mentioned in another post, they don't sell them or even know what they're supposed to look like (kinda' like me).

Anybody out there can steer me in the right direction? I'm not sure if they're at all visible when the boards are installed; but if I could get a picture of one of the clips, I'd at least have a clue as to what to look for. I'm betting if I had a picture of one, I could get something close from Restoration Specialities. This is the last piece I need for the trunk...

John

They are made from spring steel and are not all shaped the same as each other because after being attached to the Card Boards, they get clipped onto different metal parts of the Trunk such as the Trunk hinge assembly. I know of a '64 Starfire Conv. in a Bone Yard Near me but it's really 60,- 70 miles away and the yard is just full of Snow right now. Best of luck for now but I know you are probably very eager to get this all done and behind you.

John, I will look at mine when I go out to the farm today, but I think they ARE visible in a couple places around the hinge covers.

The good thing is, if I'm reading the parts book right, those clips were used from 1961 thru at least 1974 (when the book cuts off) for cars with trunk lining and cardboards. OE p/n for reference: grp 15.222 p/n 4824561. Restoration Specialties should be able to match up something with that usage.

Keep in mind Buick and Cadillac would also have used these clips, possibly Pontiac on Bonnevilles or GP's. I don't remember ever seeing a Chevrolet with a fully lined or trimmed trunk.

John,Your best bet is to get a sample clip or a good picture with dimensions. I worked for Restoration Specialties and I'm sorry to say that there is almost no reference material on OEM part numbers. Most all the numbers we had were derived from old aftermarket catalogs that sometimes showed OEM numbers but not complete lists for all years. Their knowledge is extremely good so if you call them they may know what clip you need or they may ask for a sample. Doesn't hurt to call 814-467-9842 Good luck!

Looking in the blue Starfire's trunk, the clips are visible on the area that fits around the hinges. One on each side. The cardboards fit under and are retained by the trunk opening lip at the top.

I also found a mouse nest in there, so I have left the miserable meeces some Ramik Green for dinner. Never let it be said I am not a good host! Hey, I was filling up the bird feeders anyway so why not give the meeces something for winter too...

John, is there a body shop supply house nearby that carries AuVeCo molding clips? Pretty sure AuVeCo supplied GM back then. RS has come thru for me many times on obscure clips too.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Hey, folks. I did call RS; for the moment -- and until I get some decent pictures of the clips and a view of how they're installed -- I'm dead in the H2O. Abe at RS(who was VERY willing to help) was at a loss, unfortunately.

I did manage to scrounge a decent picture of a 64 SF Conv't trunk from one that was for sale on-line a few months ago; it shows the jack and spare very good; but I can only see about half of the two right-side cardboard pieces, and no clips at all.

Of course, I could probably cobble the pieces together in the trunk and have them look half-decent; but my goal (which is no doubt obvious to anybody who's been following my "nekkit trunk" saga since last May) is to do it the right way. :cool:

Glenn, sorry to hear of the meece nest.... that's definitely a hazard of the hobby... I got one or two in the engine bay on a car I used to keep outdoors about 10 years ago. Do you have a "regular" camera? Maybe you could take some pic's and snail-mail them to me. I'd be glad to make good for the film & postage! :D

I'll take the pic's any way I can get 'em.... :)

Am really anxious to get all this stuff installed after accumulating it over the last few months. I got a spare-tire cardboard and dyed the houndstooth pattern blue to match the trunk; used Colorbond Crystal Blue upholstery paint ... It's actually a Ford color, and it came out fabulous, I must say. I put about 5 very light coats on, as per instructions, w/ about 15 minutes b/w coats.

Thanks for the chime-in's and help. :cool: I just need to get some good snapshots.

Not sure of the body-shop supply house... but I'd predict I'd get that deer-in-the-headlights look I get wherever I go in Louisiana seeking parts for a '64 Starfire. :confused:

Well, I guess I got no takers.... at least until the snow thaws ;)

Can a fairly well preserved original, installed clip be reused, or are they pretty much shot when installed?

I must admit, the more everybody tells me about them, the less I feel I know. :confused:

Whoever said "a picture is worth a thousand words" knew what he was talking about.

Glenn,

Are the 4 around the hinges the only ones used? If not, how many others?

Thnx....

Looking in the blue Starfire's trunk, the clips are visible on the area that fits around the hinges. One on each side. The cardboards fit under and are retained by the trunk opening lip at the top.

I also found a mouse nest in there, so I have left the miserable meeces some Ramik Green for dinner. Never let it be said I am not a good host! Hey, I was filling up the bird feeders anyway so why not give the meeces something for winter too...

John, is there a body shop supply house nearby that carries AuVeCo molding clips? Pretty sure AuVeCo supplied GM back then. RS has come thru for me many times on obscure clips too.

Those are all I see on either the green or blue Starfire. Did Pat's pictures give you enough to go by that you can make RS or others understand what you need?

Great that Foosick was able to supply the cardboards in blue too, instead of just the black. Reckon they can supply the other colors now if someone needs them?

Yeah, they did, Glenn. I sent them the pic's, but havn't heard back yet. They're usually prompt, so I assume they're really trying to find the things. In all honesty, I don't have a lot of hope. I've scoured the earth, including the catalog from AuVeCo. Haven't given up yet, but I suspect I'll eventually find them used from some good soul....

Funny thing about the whole issue is how pristine that trunk is... almost looks new... except that it's empty, except for the original carpeting. Somebody should be shot for losing that stuff... but I wouldn't put it past the cluck I bought it from... no love lost at this point.

Oh, and yes, too, I'd say Foosick could get the cardboards in any color that REM offers...

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure everybody will be delighted to hear I got my clips! I was referred to a guy on the Buick side of the board James Kehr, who's parting out a bunch of nailheads. He's a great guy to deal with, if anybody needs any GM-platform parts from the early 60s or even late 50s.

As was surmised, the clips in the Olds are the same as those in the same-era Buicks.

Thanks to all who helped!

Now the ball's in my court to clean the clips up a bit and put the whole thing together....

Edited by Bee-Oh-Pee (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...