1946 Pontiac Time Capsule

rick60

I finally was able to get together with my friend to view the 1946 Pontiac that was purchased new by his grandfather. It has been driven sparingly since 1946. It also has been stored properly when not in use. The car is stored in his recently departed Uncle's garage. His uncle was the primary care taker since 1946. The car is in excellent condition. There are just under 33 thousand miles on the car. The interior shows absolutely no wear. The seats have been covered since new. There are custom made covers over the lower portions of all four door trim panels. They appear to be held on by snaps. It is also possible there are pins that mimic the look of snaps. We found a package of these pins in the trunk. No attempt was made to look under the covers. No water stains on the door panels or headliner. The dash and wood grain are perfect.

The body is almost perfect. One small dent on the lr corner of the roof. It might be possible to use paintless dent repair to remove this dent. The paint is not damaged at this location. There is a very small ding high up on the rr quarter. There are some very fine scratches in the paint. The paint is not oxidized. I did notice a thin spot in the paint where the lr fender bolts on. I'm pretty sure it will shine up nicely with little effort.

The chrome on the rear looks like NOS. The front is almost as nice. The top portions of the bumpers and wing guards are scratched as if someone stood on them to wash the hood. The grille, hood ornament, silver streaks and stainless are in great shape.

The glass is clear. Only a little delaminating on the rf vent window.

The car has not been driven in the last 10 years. The mechanics will need to be gone over. This will include complete brakes and tires.

As you can see in the pictures the car has every available Pontiac accessory. There are also a lot of aftermarket accessories on the car. One of the aftermarket accessories is the Buehl air horns mounted on the sides of the hood. there is also a green tinted plastic visor on the car. These items have been on the car since 1946. The owner has photos of the car when it was new. The horns are on the car in the photos.

I have to apologize for the pictures. The owner does not want the garage door open for long periods of time. There are a lot of valuable items in the garage. The house is unoccupied at this time and he doesn't want a lot of people aware of the contents. The owner is not sure if he is going to keep the ca. The good news is that he has given me the first chance to buy the car if he sells!

I forgot to mention there is also a 1947 JAWA motor cycle in nice original condition, a 1967 Harley Davidson motor scooter with 700 miles, and a 1979 Lincoln Town Coupe 2 dr with 6500 miles in the garage. The Harley Davidson factory museum is interested in the scooter.

post-59985-143138838096_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138838098_thumb.jpg

post-59985-1431388381_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138838101_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138838102_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138838103_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138838104_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138838106_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138838106_thumb.jpg

post-59985-143138838107_thumb.jpg

Guest 89 Maui

What a beauty !!!! And they only stay that way by keeping them out of the elements of nature. I know the feeling of knowing someone who has taken exceptional care of their car.

I also have a friend who acquired a 1965 Mustang 2+2 - 289 4V 4 speed with only 17,000 miles and it has been garaged kept since new and is in pristene condition.

These exceptionally cared for cars are still out there, but lets hope that a grandson or nephew doesn't get there hands on it and ruin the car !!!

Guest my3buicks
What a beauty !!!! And they only stay that way by keeping them out of the elements of nature. I know the feeling of knowing someone who has taken exceptional care of their car.

I also have a friend who acquired a 1965 Mustang 2+2 - 289 4V 4 speed with only 17,000 miles and it has been garaged kept since new and is in pristene condition.

These exceptionally cared for cars are still out there, but lets hope that a grandson or nephew doesn't get there hands on it and ruin the car !!!

Better yet, let's hope a Grandson or Nephew get's ahold of it and enjoys the hell out of it instead of it sitting in a dark dusty garage the for another 60 some years.

Those are the original 1946 Illinois cardboard license plates on the back seat. They look like they are NOS. They are that nice! There are original papers from 1946. There is a Cuban cigar sealed in the original container in the glove box. It has to date pre 1959! The white wall tires were installed in 1947. They are one size larger than the original black walls. They wanted to get a softer ride and dress up the car a little. The spare is one of the original tires with the white metal disc that was supposed to simulate white wall tires. Chrome discs were installed with the white walls to give the impression of full chrome wheels. This is one of those cars that you look over to find problems but it just looks better the longer that you look at it!