New battery cables, like a NEW CAR!

Guest Jerrys 49

Guest Jerrys 49

Alright.. almost can't believe it was this easy and simple..but if anyone has been following my posts, my 1949 Roadmaster was having problems starting/battery draining. Well, I ordered NEW battery cables from YNZ, and..... VOILA! Not sure if it was my positive cable, or my braided negative cable, but the ol' lady fired right up with absolutely NO hesitation!!! Now that I have a brand new braided negative cable, I can actually see how bad/old my old one was.. wow. In the meantime while waiting for the cables to arrive, I had also removed as many ground locations I could find/think of, and cleaned them up. I CAN NOT express how important it is to have CLEAN grounding locations, and good/proper battery cables! I know this from trial and error now!

Ok.. Now, since the new battery cables did their jobs, when I fired her up I noticed something really weird. I am not sure if it is because she is getting all the juices she needs from the battery, but now I have a weird "HISSING" sound emanating from underneath her dash. It seems to be coming from near the steering column area, under the dash. I have absolutely NO idea what this is. Can it possibly be the defrost??? All of my push/pull levers are in the "off" position..

So, does ANYONE know what this "hissing" noise could be??? Is this a really BAD thing? Or is this something that can be fixed as simple as putting in my new battery cables were?

Has anyone ever had this happen to their cars?? ANY input is welcome!

Jerry Case

1949 Buick Roadmaster 4 Door

Guest Jerrys 49

Found where the hissing noise was coming from.. it is coming from a hose connection right under the center area of the dashboard. It seems the hose connects to the wipers, but the wipers still work. I will just have to buy new hoses and replace those old crusty things.

As far as my battery/starting problem, I'm still trying to figure it out. The new battery cables seem to help out a lot, it starts up just fine.....BUT, after driving around for a while, once I turn the car off, I can not start it again without a jump! The motor keeps turning over (VERY VERY SLOWLY), but will not turn over fast enough to start her up. Once I jump it, the battery is reading that it is getting charge (I used a meter to verify) whenever I raise the RPM'S.. Could this perhaps be a problem with my starter??? I hope someone might know about this sort of problem.

Jerry

1949 Roadmaster 4Door

Jerry, I don't remember if your starter has been rebuilt. If not, locate an auto electric shop and have it checked. Should be one there somewhere. They should be able to measure the current draw at the starter during cranking. Sounds like the starter may be "draging"when engine is hot and therfore tighter than when cold.

Ben

Guest BigDogDaddy

Could the hard starting when hot be from the engine running too hot ? I had a similar problem with my '40. I ultimately traced to a stuck butterfly in the exhaust manifold...after much trial and error including having the radiator re-cored.

Phil

You definately need to have the starter rebuilt. Heat expands metal. When the engine warms the starter the close tolerance between the armature and the field is compromised due to worn bushings, Once the armature and field touch your starter will loose much of it's power. With jumper cables attached you are using the amps from 2 good batteries and it is overcoming the problem somewhat. Rebuilding the starter to include new bushings will fix all your starting problems