Whats the difference in the 88, 98 and

Guest ClassicsFan

Guest ClassicsFan

a 76? Did they make such a thing as a 76?

I think I have the lower front bumper for a Olds "76" or will this bumper fit any Olds in the years 49 to 50?

Inside someone took a marker and wrote " Olds 49 76 "

Help me out?

Olds build cars in four series during many of these years. The series were 60, 70, 80 and 90. The higher the series number, the more expensive and larger car it was. The second digit indicated if the car was 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder equiped. Thus a 98 is a 90 series car with an eight cylinder engine.

Guest myold88

To answer your question:

The 1949 76 is the 6 cyl model. This body was discontinued in early '51. 1950 and up are all V/8's. The body and much of the trim and bumpers are the same on the 76 and 88's from 1949, 1950 and 1951 88-A's. As far as I know the 1949, '50 and 51 88-A front grill and bumpers are the same except for the license panel. I believe it's different for the 98's.

Guest ClassicsFan

Ahhhhh. Thank you both very much. Those front ends do all look the same, but I wasn't quite sure and I have never heard of the '76'. All the others were familiar to me.

Thanks again!

Guest chequenman
Olds build cars in four series during many of these years. The series were 60, 70, 80 and 90. The higher the series number, the more expensive and larger car it was. The second digit indicated if the car was 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder equiped. Thus a 98 is a 90 series car with an eight cylinder engine.

I don't think you are correct on most of what you've said, sounds sooo confusing as from 1950 and newer there wasn't any six cylinders used until the mid sixties in the Cutlas lineup..... :confused: