emblem color

Guest Foggy norm

Guest Foggy norm

This question was posted last year with no response, I'll try again. The 40's and 50's cadillac hubcap emblem's have a red background, I can't locate a good example of the red color. This isn't a tech question, it's more of an aesthetic interest. It appear's I'm seeing two type's of red, not sure if some are repaint's with the wrong color, or did cadillac change the red moving into the 50's. Some red emblem's I've seen are opaque (common paint) while other's appear translucent. Any opinion the correct color would be appreciated.

Edited by Foggy norm (see edit history)

Guest Foggy norm

People have said there are reproduction's, I doubt that I've seen any. Of the many I've seen, if there are repop's, it's difficult to tell. Like the US mint, there were many pressing's of these emblem's, from 1941-?54or later? Some have the name and made in USA, other's have only made in USA, while other's have a part no#. Some (original's) have no marking's apparent but quite obviously, as found and condition they are not repop's. It appears IF the front has good detail, the back lacks detail and if the back has all the mark's, the front is lacking detail, not ot mention the amount of emblem's that may have been stamped before the Die(s) was replaced.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Foggy norm

Well Bleach, I have found some info. Not exact but more than I had, tho not as specific as I would have liked. I was given the impression, the early center's were opaque...Vincennes red (say that three time's fast), but which year's? For sure, the late forty's, translucent was in use, similar to candy apple red, this would really appear to be cloisonne.

Cadillac initially started using this emblem in 1941 and the red was identical to the red used in the Chinese flag (the color is referred to "Chinese Red" in Cadillac circles). This color red was used on the emblems through 1946. In 1947, Cadillac changed to the more translucent or Candy Apple Red. To my knowledge, this candy apple red was used until the emblem was discontinued in production. The later emblems were used as replacements for the '41 - '46 versions.

Emblems using either shade of red are available as reproductions today (allcads.com has them both). The reproductions have been available for many years.

Hope you find this helpful,

Jeff

That observation may be correct but I had a pair of Sombrero type hubcabs that had emblems with the dull red finish. These were reportedly from a '52 because they had the rim edge "clips" as opposed to earlier type that had a center hub that would attach to the center of the wheel.

Guest Foggy norm

Thank's Joe, My father talked about you a lot!

We are talking about the center's with the raised shield and rippled background, does anyone know the last year for this type. The flat emblem showed up in the fifty's, basically a stamped outline, yea!, it was common red?