1939 Zephyr

Guest 65Starfire

Guest 65Starfire

While I was looking at a Mark II to buy my wife spotted this 39 Zephyr that had been disassembled for painting and then abandoned in a garage. It was solid and basically complete. The owned had died and the relatives had decided to sell it for junk and that seemed a d#mn shame, so I bought it for $750 and have probably gotten myself into a whole bunch of trouble. We got it home, sorted through the mess and sent it off for paint.

The engine turns over but I should have pulled it before painting but will now have to go over to the paint shop and pull it. I have a 2x2 intake and think I will install vintage air under the package tray. Any advice would be appreciated as I have to figure out how to put this baby back together! It has a basic 3 speed w/o a columbia rear end. Should I start looking for the columbia, rebuild the three and live with it or find a Borg Warner w overdrive to install? Also what about find aluminum heads? Just pretty? Or pretty stupid or of use?

Any ideas on front suspension/steering. My wife wants to drive it occasionally so I think some upgrades are necessary there. It looks like the front end is the same as the 39 Deluxe and so there are a million possibilities but I don't want to do anything that can't be reversed later.

Thanks in advance for the help advice and criticism (I can take it!) I'd rather know up front that an idea is stupid then try and fix a major screw up

post-75845-143138835164_thumb.jpg

post-75845-143138835205_thumb.jpg

post-75845-143138835206_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Nice project Starfire! If you're looking for spares or replacement parts, I've come across two large plastic totes full of parts and they are quite heavy. All sorts of stuff including I think a heater blower motor, some interior trim bits, 3 grilles all reuqiring a little work and rechroming for show.... just a huge assortment. I'm in SE MI, if interested in the parts PM me. Looking for cash offers or trade for 37 parts. Jim

Guest 65Starfire

Just got it back from being painted. Now I need to run down weatherstrip, new glass (all of it is filmed) interior, wilting, steering wheel....

All suggestions welcome!