GDenton

1933 Dodge front Fenders

Hi again, I got the numbers, and the Model # wasn't what I thought it would be. I was expecting a Model HC, and what I got on the Big Tag next to Model is K34...The S/N is 8359591. On the little tag under the big one it says B-2-2-LR7105. I measured the wheelbase and it is 111 inches . The running boards are 53 Inches long, and 13 inchies wide at the front, The front fender is 70 inches measuring over the top to where the running board attaches. So can one of you guys tell me what my numbers mean? Oh, and it has an I-Beam axle. Thanks again, Guy

Your serial number of 8359591 doesn't get a match on the Dodge truck decoder at Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder

Nor, for that matter on my Chrysler product passenger vehicle look up at Plymouth First Decade: Where is the VIN?

It is very possible that the lookup pages are wrong. But you might want to double check that serial number to see if you've got it copied down correctly.

OK here goes. Everything I have is not chiselled in granite just yet but I'm 99% sure to this point.

Guy your pickup appears to have a bogus plate on it. If it were a K-34 it would be a 1 1/2 ton truck (I think). However as Ply33 says the number doesn't come up anywhere as well. K is fine for 1934 and '35 trucks but did someone mistakenly put the year i.e. 1934 after the K? But even then the serial number does not match any records. The B-2-2 indicates a pick-up. We will have to see the stamped serial number on the left frame cheek.

Gunnar your flat face cowl and chassis had a custom pick up body on it? One would wonder why the people didn't just order a pick-up in the 1st place. BTW Dodge called them a 'Commercial Express' in their ads. The newspaper photo does indeed show a custom pick-up body installed on a B-1-0. Your body number is 'younger' than mine. Mine is LR 2428 and was built Oct. 23/1935 almost at the end of the 3 year span of these "1933" 1/2 ton trucks. Also mine has the 1936 glovebox on the right side of the dash. So I'm assuming yours is a 1934 KC. Did I read your post correctly? You have another custom bodied B-1-0 in your garage? With a different body?

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Hello KCL, I looked at the serial number guide PLY33 sent. If you clik on another tab that starts at 1914-1940- you get copies of pages of S/N's. Page 15 indicates the cab of my truck, K34 is a 1 and a half ton, and the S/N falls into the range of K34 trucks if I am reading that right. I am thinking the cab on my truck has been replaced with one from a bigger truck. I couldn't find the number on the frame. I didn't look hard because I thought I had a good number on the firewall. On a truck is the S/N in front of the spring attachment on the drivers side front spring, rear attach point. I'll have to take a wire bruch on a cordless drill to get it cleaned good enough. Anyone with some hints will be appreciated. I think it is in a different place than a car because of the leaf springs, no bulb out. Thanks, Guy

post-82468-1431388397_thumb.jpg

The 1 1/2 tonners had bigger cabs on them which they shared with 2 ton from what I know. Also starting with the 1 1/2 ton cab the engine hood has a big sign on both sides saying 'DODGE BROTHERS' or 'DODGE'.

I went back and spent a bit of time going through the 10 photos of your truck. We'll get it right yet. I missed a couple of things. The gearshift lever and transmission tower do not follow the shape of a 1/2 ton. The rad grille has a diiferent crankhole from the 1/2 tonners. The 1/2 ton crankhole is connected to the bottom of the grille by a long stem. However the larger trucks have 'rounded ' corners on the bottom of the windshield rather than the 'sharp' corners of the 1/2 tonners which yours seems to have.

Yes your truck does appear to be listed as "K-34 1 1/2 ton Cab" with a correct serial number for that series. So several things now come up.

The truck is much bigger in the flesh than in the photos. The front fenders are most likely going to be bigger than the car fenders so you may end up repairing what you have as 1 1/2 ton fnders are going to be rare. The rear fenders appear to not have the same 'pattern' on them as the 1/2 tonners so they too will be hard to find. The serial number listing says the closing date was 'Oct. 1935' but it has the dash of a '33. Typical of CPDD manufacture in those days. Unless the cab has been switched it appears the truck has a left over '33 cab.

The serial number on the HC/KC series is stamped just behind the rear spring shackle of the front left spring. It's quite large and near the bottom of the frame face. The numerals are about 1" high and the stamping is about 6" long. The number is stamped into the steel so a wire cup brush on a drill is safe but do not use a sanding disc. If it matches the serial number you have then it is indeed a 1 1/2 ton Commercial Express pick me up.

Guy, just to clarify, is this the serial number guide that Ply33 has on his site? I was looking for something that he himself had put together.

I had asked him for clarification and never had a response so I have been un-sure. I have this book already and good to know if this is the same material. Thanks

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guy, just to clarify, is this the serial number guide that Ply33 has on his site? I was looking for something that he himself had put together.

I had asked him for clarification and never had a response so I have been un-sure. I have this book already and good to know if this is the same material. Thanks

I guess I should look at the PM on this site from time to time. I did not notice that you'd sent me a couple of messages until I read this post.

The serial number lists I have are mostly for cars so the truck coverage is not complete. Phil Street’s site, which I linked to above, has pretty good coverage of trucks with a decoder/look up facility for 1936 and later Dodge trucks. Off of that same page he has links to scanned truck serial number manual pages that might be of use for pre-1936 trucks or to check his look up form for accuracy.

Sounds to me like your best on-line source at the moment is Phil Street's site at Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder

Hi Guy, you have a 1 1/2 ton or 2 ton cab. If you look in the picture and compare distance A and B you can easily see the difference. Then your cab has the 2 radiator support bracket from a 1/2 ton pickup. The bigger truck has one bracket in the middle.

The grille insert is most likely from a 1933 Plymouth.

My bigger cab to the left have line registration number B-2-2-LR15001 and the dashboard is the 33' type as yours.

Gunnar

post-61694-143138839931_thumb.jpg

Gunnar ,I'm sure the rad shell is Dodge truck from '33,'34 or '35. Plymouth's rad shell rolled back cleanly at the top and did not have that bulbous snout. So it's settled that Guy has a 1933,'34 or '35 K-34 1 1/2 ton 'Commercial Express' pick-up. Notice the production runs from 1933 right to the end of the 3 year run in Oct. '35. I did not know that. I assume that's why it has a 1933 car instrument cluster. Gunnar's too. The books I have show my '35 instrument cluster for '34 and '35. I will have to amend my records to show that a'33 car cluster could exist right to the bitter end. Who knew? I notice also that the serial numbers in the right hand columns are 'bunched' together because mine is in line with the KC models instead of in line with KCLs. Mine on Oct. 23rd at 8,071,921 is 629 from the end which appears to be 6 days/1 week from the end. I assume the bottom 9 million numbers in each group are Canadian production in Windsor or earlier in Toronto at Graham Brothers?

KCL, I think you misunderstood me. I mean that the radiator shell is Dodge 1/2 ton (modified) but the radiator shell insert is 1933 Plymouth. Look at the upper part of the vertical bars and you can see that the slope matches Plymouth shape as well as the round crank hole.

Hi Guys, it looks like another trip to where the truck is tomorrow. I will get the s/n off of the frame, take some measurements, and some more pictures. I will try to see if the transmission is a 3 speed or 4 speed. KCL are you saying I could have a 1 and 1/2 ton regular pickup? I didn't know they made those. I am betting the frame S/N will be different from the body S/N and I have some kind of hogged together truck made at a junkyard. That is the kind of luck I have. I looked at the hood, and there were no Dodge signs on it , only vertical louvers. You guys are a great help to me, whatever the outcome is. Thanks, I appreciate it. Guy

Hello, I found a picture of a 34 2 ton pickup on the net. Wish I could see a picture of the front and side of this truck. Off I go to get the S/N off the frame, in the rain...Bye from Guy

post-82468-143138840709_thumb.jpg

Big trucks need love too :P

Dont be discouraged Guy if it is a 1.5 ton, makes it all that the more unique

Hi again, I'm back, and the results aren't good. I couldn't find the S/N anywhere on the frame that I could get to. I wire brushed the area behind the rear spring shackle of the left front wheel and got nothing.. Also, whoever, welded a plate on the inside of the frame and reattached the rear shackle below the frame. I have enclosed some pictures. Since the splash apron isn't there, I was able to look all the way down the frame, and didn't see a hint of a number anywhere. I wirebrushed the other side also, nothing there. Maybe the bigger ton trucks have the S/N somewhere else, or maybe I have some other brand frame. I have taken more pictures of the bed, transmission, and other parts that could give us some hints as to what frame is there. Also, I took the following measurements. The front face of the firewall is 19" from the bottom going right up over the data plates to the top edge of the cowl. It is 35" across the face of the firewall at the widest point. The cab is 54 inches wide measured through the inside from out side of one door to the out side of the other door at the back edge. From the bottom of the cab to the top of the roof line is 48"measuring from the bottom of the cab up through the middle of the door to the top. the bed is 57" wide at the top edge, and 63" Long.

Maybe from the enclosed pictures it will give us a direction to look. I have taken pictures of the rear fender thinking that might give a clue. Also, the front I-beam axle is really bent.

On a lighter note I found a frame with running gear and engine that runs off of a 39 plymouth pickup. The engine number is P-12-24729. Will that engine be a good period correct engine for my truck? Sorry this is so long, but it is what it is,Thanks for your help, Guy

Guy, looks like you did a great job cleaning that frame.........unfortunately maybe you cleaned the wrong spot. All Dodge trucks built at least between 27 and 1931 had the number stamped left side just back of the front spring bracket. I know someone said rear of left side front spring bracket and you maybe someone here can clarify.

Maybe they changed it to the rear after 31 but I am guessing not. Great looking truck and looks very solid either way. You didnt say what you were paying but the bed alone has gotta be worth some coin

Question: Did not 'aircraft' type throw away shocks come out around the end of the 30s? All the trucks or cars I've seen and worked on in the middle 30s had Delco single/double action hydraulics. I looked up shocks in the last book I have for the 30s trucks,1939 TC/TD, and it gives Delco or Houdie double acting shocks front and rear and gives a parts breakdown that describes frame mounted hydraulics with "link rods" connecting them to the axles. Apparently 'modern' tube throw away shocks came out in 1940. At least for Dodge trucks.(Unfortunetly no drawings or photos to post.) Does this mean this truck is made from several differents trucks of different ages? The front spring rear shackle has been moved to the bottom of the frame. I don't think that was done at the factory. But........

Question: Did not 'aircraft' type throw away shocks come out around the end of the 30s?

Introduced on Plymouth, and I suspect other Chrysler Corporation makes, in 1937 if I recall correctly.

that front axle & shocker set up has been replaced at some time of it's life, look carefully as the bump stop does not line up with the frame either and you can see where the original bump stop was fitted directly to the frame as the original plate is still attached to the frame without the rubber, it should have leaver shocks set up on it.

I think it's a 1933 HC pick up with a donor front axle from something else.

check the rear wheel arch area on the frame for a number.....or clean more of the area to the left (below where the spring was originally attached).

the rear fenders are wrong as well.

Edited by T J Richards (see edit history)

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I too think the front axle is out of a different truck. I could see the bump stops ware outside the frame, and when the spring attach points were moved that still didn't let the bump stops hit. I will be looking for the s/n more. The shocks are another giveaway about the axle. Attached is a picture of a 39 truck frame I just bought, and it has the same type of mounts as my truck. I am looking for a picture with some cab dimensions, so I can see what differences there are between my K34 cab and an HC cab. I haven't found any yet though. Thanks for you input, Guy

post-82468-143138850474_thumb.jpg

post-82468-143138850523_thumb.jpg

Is that from a large model truck like a 2 or three ton? The Data plate is a lot larger, and the frame looks bigger. They changed from a tubular axle to a I-Beam for 34. I have an I-beam axle, but I don't think it is from a pickup. Thanks, Guy

post-82468-143138851438_thumb.jpg

Quote "About Jan. 1 1934 the front axle changed to a beefy,drop forged,I beam type in place of the former tubular type." The '33 HCs had the tube type front axle from the DP car and the PC/PD Plymouth cars. I too was confused when I first saw my '35 1/2 ton. I thought someone had changed out the tube axle for the old I beam type but it was Dodge themselves.

Hi,

I don't know if this helps or not but the Dodge Brothers Club News ( American Club ) has a three page article on straightening axles.

Just thought might be of interest

Ian