1923 Maxwell

Guest Randy01

Guest Randy01

I have access to a 1923 2 door (2) passenger Maxwell Coupe that is in good shape and has never been restored. The owner says it will run. The body looks good, the top is solid and fenders and bumpers are staight.

All gauges, controls and hardware are still in good shape.

My question is can anybody tell me more on this car, Are parts available? What is this car worth? Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Guest BobD735

Some '23 Chalmers closed car body parts will also interchange, ie. front windshield, and visor. Unfortunately, Chalmers parts are harder to find than Maxwell parts. As far as chassis and engine parts, they are totally different.

Bob

Guest Randy01

Keiser31

I have no pictures of the car but it is in good original shape. I still would like any comments on value or if you have any questions please reply.

Thanks,

Randy

Guest BobD735

Hi Randy,

Keiser pretty much summed it up. Something else to consider is the condition of the wooden body structure, of that period, hidden beneath the sheet metal exterior, and carpeting.

Bob

Guest Randy01

Keiser31

The car is drivable with little work needed. The battery box is holding the battery but it will need to be replaced. The wood in the car is solid (The floor, running boards, door posts) the door hinges that screw into the wood posts seem to be loose.

The seat has been redone the interior looks to be original. The back window still has a rollup blind that still works. This car is complete with nothing missing.

The rims are solid steel. The car is showing 38,000 miles and all the gauges in good shape.

Value?

Randy

Not the most desirable of car, the early 20's cars were good but styling and performance was mostly adequate for around town.

An unrestored, decent early 20's coupe, and Maxwell was a good car but nothing flashy, probably not over $4000 -$5000 at most....in my opinion, and that may be high depending on condition.

Fully restored, new paint, new upholstery, new plating, runs great, you'd be hard pressed to get $12,000-$14,000 for it, so when you figure costs of restoration (if you want to restore, which, if it's good enough, I'd say don't) you can see value is minimal....

All numbers are guesses based on experience, I haven't looked at any value guides, which are probably just as unreliable as my guesses....

Guest Randy01

Trimacar

I appreciate the information. The owner was wanting $7,000 and I needed some value from guys that know more on these cars.

Thanks again,

Randy

I agree with "trimacar" about the worth.....until you look into the "loose screws" in the doors". The looseness usually means that the wood is bad inside the door jambs. That would mean removing the sheet metal very carefully and rebuilding the structure. Not an easy job and the worth of the car should reflect the amount of work needed.

I agree with Keiser31, and that's why I put in the caveat "depending on condition", which means a close examination of the car.

The loose screws could be just that, loose screws. Or, the wood could be rotted, which now means the car might bring $1000. Rewooding an early car is a major job, not that difficult actually, but one that requires the right tools and the right mindset.....

I feel the $7000 is a tad high.....

My dad sold his 1925 Maxwell Touring car before he passed away. Seems like it might have been in '97 or '98. It was a pretty darn nice restored car. It did have some issues with the original coil but would run and drive. Unfortunately there was very little interest in the car. I think he let it go for less that $6000.

Guest BobD735

Hi Randy,

Regarding the worth of the '23 Maxwell depends alot on where your interests lie. I'm in the process (and have been for some time) of restoring a 1920 Chalmers 5-passenger touring. It's my hobby and I enjoy working on it. Regarding it's worth... probably the $100 I paid for it. I look at the project as a challenge and an opportunity to learn how to find, restore and make parts which will enable me to put it back to running condition some day. Oh, and I forgot the most important part. Meeting and making new friends along the way. Bob