1909 Stevens Duryea Y

automuseum

I am researching the provenance of the Seal Cove Auto Museum's 1909 Stevens Duryea #2952. I know that the original owner was George T. Files of Brunswick Maine but have nothing but some clues after his ownership. The clues are a 1966 Glidden Tour sticker in the corner of the windshield and the initial DKN on the door. The car looks very much like one owned by Rick Carroll that was identified as being the only one known to exist. If anyone knows who DKN was and what ever happened to Carroll's car, please post.

post-69114-143138831519_thumb.jpg

post-69114-143138831544_thumb.jpg

post-69114-143138831557_thumb.jpg

DKN are the initials of a contemporary collector who owned the car, in the grand scheme of things, fairly recently, and are not the initials of who drove in in 1966....if you send me an email I can tell you whose initials....David.Coco@hphood.com

Great leads all, many thanks and please keep them coming.

I hope to contact Mr. Noran directly, if successful I'm sure he can fill in most of the blanks. (Boy, he has some nice cars and fire engines! You can see some of his show cars at the Ault Park Concours website) AULT PARK Concours d'Elegance

The photo of the Stevens Duryea I'm posting today shows the full side view, you can just see the DKN monogram on the back door.

This would be a great car for the Seal Cove to get running again.

post-69114-143138836205_thumb.jpg

Had a lovely talk with Mr. Noran yesterday. He couldn't have been kinder and we had a fine time talking about Richard Paine, the collection at the Seal Cove, and naturally the Stevens-Duryea.

Your leads indeed pan out...

The 1909 Model Y 7-Passenger Touring at the Seal Cove was originally owned by Professor George T. Files of Brunswick Maine, and subsequently owned by Herbert and Bob Horn of the “Horns’ Cars of Yesteryear” Museum, Walter Bellm of the “Bellm Cars & Music of Yesterday” Museum, Rick Carroll, David K Noran, and finally Richard C Paine Jr. Mr. Noran sold the car to Richard Paine's agent, Ted Swain, in the early 80s.

Found the post card (attached) of the car when it was at the Bellm Cars & Music of Yesterday Museum (now the Sarasota Classic Car Museum) and a photo of it when it belonged to Rick Carroll. (Amazing what shows up on eBay)

Also found out that it is the only existing 1909 Model Y 7-Passenger.

Great research project... thank you all.

post-69114-14313883873_thumb.jpg