Lycoming 8?

VintageRacingCar

Can anyone help me to identify this engine?

looks to me like a Lycoming...But is on a MOON Car...Is that Possible? Did ever Moon use this engine?

Thank you in advance

Fred

post-63256-143138839947_thumb.jpg

Edited by fkunzendorf (see edit history)

Guest noncompos

LB's post matches what's in the Std Cat; it also states Moon also built the Diana, which came with a Cont straight 8, from 1925 until 1928 when the Diana was phased out and became the Moon Aerotype 8-80, only built in 28 and 29, the end of Moon production.

Interestingly, a 1930 McCord gasket catalog shows the Diana with a Cont 12Z, a straight 8 of 3x41/2, while the Moon 8-80 1928/29 shows the Cont 15S, a straight 8 of 3x43/4. Either they thought the Diana underpowered or the Moon was a heavier car.

If there's no engine tag (not unusual in these cases) take off any numbers and/or /letters cast/stamped (assuming there's no Moon/Diana club) and email Garrad (Gerry/Jerry) Moon (no relation to my knowledge) at Monte's in Chicago (obsolete Cont parts dealer) who should be able to positively ID your engine.

garradmoon@montes@flash.net

montesequipment.com.

Also interesting is Std Cat's "...for more than a decade beginning in 1926 all Moons were 6 cyl cars. Although an OHV Falls engine would be used in an export model (6-42) in 1921 MOST (emphasis added) Moon powerplants were L head Cont'ls...". Sounds like maybe Moon used another makers 6s, or maybe some Cont 6s were OHV?? The parts catalogs I checked only showed Cont'ls.

Bud Tierney