230 crank in a 218 block?

Plyroadking

I have a '55 230 cu. in. currently in my '40 Plymouth. It has a lot of lifter noise and I'm considering driving it on a 2,000 mile cross country trip this summer. I have a very low mileage 218 motor with a couple bad pistons, I have heard that the only difference between the 218's and 230's is the length of the stroke and the early distrubuter shafts are not notched to clear the longer stroke of the crank, learned that one the hard way..... anyway I'm thinking about dropping my 230 crank, rods, and pistons into the 218 block. I'm wondering if I can run the 218 cam with the 230 Crank, the timing chain drive gears are the same size but will I mess with the duration of the valve timing by having the longer stroke?

Guest 54Illinois

I have heard the crankshafts on the 230 is longer than the 218...but I do not know about the 218 cam being able to handle the 230 upgrade. I have a Motors book, I will check to see if the stats are different.

Well thank you! I got to thinking about today and realized that since the 230 has a longer stroke it travels farther down the cylinder, which means it also travels farther up the cylinder too. Kind of a problem with the head being in the way. Now I guess I will try putting the 218 cam and lifters in the 230 block. I would be very appreciative if you had any information about the cams being different. Thanks!!!

Guest 54Illinois

The 230 block and 218 block should be the same size. Both of mine are from 54, and the cast numbers are the same. The rod length is shorter in the 230, to increase the stroke. I checked Motors, and all the valve specs appear to be the same thru 58'.

Tell you what though...if it turns out you need to switch blocks, I am looking for #6 connecting rod for a 230!

I am very new to these motors...so please check and double check my info!

Edited by 54Illinois (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

the gears and timing chain are fixed as are the lobes of the cam..there is no way you can change any cam duration via the gear and chain except to help centerline the puppy..but the two cams themsevesf can be of a different grind and I think this is your real question..are the 218 and the 230 same grind cam..?

• 8 years later...