Dash Removal 1948 Desoto S-11

rcumba

Roger - I am not sure if the dash is mounted anything like my 1950, but I also installed a new wiring harness. Here is what I did:

1) there are screws that hold the dash housing to the mounts behind the dash. Mine were up near the very top and were difficult to get to, but patience is the key.

2) you have to remove any knobs, nuts, faceplates, etc. which may be holding the front of the dash in place.

3) I believe I also removed the various gage clusters, speedometer, etc. - because I refurbished them in the process, and it was easier to make the wiring connections.

4) The dash on my 50 is a 2-piece configuration, so I only removed the half which had most of the wiring (ignition, gauges, wipers, light switch, wipers, etc.)

If you send me your e.mail address, I can e.mail you some pics of the dash being out of the car, exposed wiring, etc.

After wiring everything in to the dash, I then fed the wiring harness thru the various grommets in the firewall, and hooked up everything in the engine compartment, headlights, park lights, horns, etc.

Hope this helps.............it was a time-consuming project. I still have to install the body and rear wiring harness, but waiting till April/May for warmer weather - and have to replace the headliner at the same time, as this harness runs between the headliner and the top of the car.

Irv D

• 1 month later...
Guest Irv D

Roger -

I will send you a few pics of my car as soon as I get a chance. some are with the dash out, others are the complete car. I am nearly 100% complete - hope to have it done before Memorial Day - to have in the local parade.

Irv

• 6 months later...
Roger -

I will send you a few pics of my car as soon as I get a chance. some are with the dash out, others are the complete car. I am nearly 100% complete - hope to have it done before Memorial Day - to have in the local parade.

Irv

Hello Irv,

Could I get a copy of your information?

My wife and I are currently in Commerce City, CO. We are working on our '50 Desoto Carryall and trying to get the wiring patched up enough to make it back to Maine. This is our road trip we've been planning for some time. :-)

Ralph

Hello Irv,

My wife and I are currently in Commerce City, CO. We are working on our '50 Desoto Carryall and trying to get the wiring patched up enough to make it back to Maine. This is our road trip we've been planning for some time. :-)

Ralph -

I am not sure exactly what information you are looking for. I presume it has to do with rewiring my 1950 DeSoto, which I completed this past spring. I purchased a complete wiring harness from Rhode Island Wiring and had an electrician friend help me install it. It was a big job, but finally got it done. The two most difficult things were:

1) Doing the wiring behind the dash (left portion where the speedometer and other gauges are)

2) Running the rear harness back under the headliner (had to tear out the headliner to do so)

I removed the entire left side of the dash (there are screws holding it in place up near the very top by the windshield - I think 4 of them)

removed all knobs, radio and other things that needed to be removed to get the dash out

a lot was trial and error, and one thing that kept the dash from coming out was a clip behind it (I think on the lower left) which held a chrome bezel in place

The easiest was attaching all the wires in the engine compartment.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the dash - not sure why, but I was unable to attach the pictures.

Not sure if this helps................I am going for major surgery a week from today, so will be out of commission for awhile.

Irv

• 9 years later...
On 10/18/2012 at 1:31 PM, Irv D said:
truckmen said:
Hello Irv,

Ralph -

I am not sure exactly what information you are looking for. I presume it has to do with rewiring my 1950 DeSoto, which I completed this past spring. I purchased a complete wiring harness from Rhode Island Wiring and had an electrician friend help me install it. It was a big job, but finally got it done. The two most difficult things were:

1) Doing the wiring behind the dash (left portion where the speedometer and other gauges are)

2) Running the rear harness back under the headliner (had to tear out the headliner to do so)

I removed the entire left side of the dash (there are screws holding it in place up near the very top by the windshield - I think 4 of them)

removed all knobs, radio and other things that needed to be removed to get the dash out

a lot was trial and error, and one thing that kept the dash from coming out was a clip behind it (I think on the lower left) which held a chrome bezel in place

The easiest was attaching all the wires in the engine compartment.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the dash - not sure why, but I was unable to attach the pictures.

Not sure if this helps................I am going for major surgery a week from today, so will be out of commission for awhile.

Irv