Evapo-Rust Experiment This Week

RU22 - Posts #20 and #22 have comments on aluminum. Essentially the Evapo-Rust does nothing to the aluminum apparently. Attached ferrous parts were cleaned though. I would assume the carburetor in those posts would be a good example of a zinc alloy, being "diecast" parts.

I have some NOS pistons with very light rust on the fitted pins and rings

This stuff is stuck and pins will broch the pistons if I heat and push them.

Replacements are impossable and if ruined my only option woulddbe to have new customs made

Thought I may as well ad my experience with the use of molasses in rust removal. Let me say that there is no right or wrong method with rust removal. I use molasses, sand blasting and electrolyte baths and it all depends on the situation as to which is the "best". By that I mean your own circumstances, as well as what you are trying to clean.

Some years ago, myself and three other blokes had a heap of stuff we wanted to clean, so used a very large bath. Probably 3 feet wide, 3 feet six inches high, about 12 feet long, using 1part molasses to 10 parts water. We were cleaning complete chassis, mud guards (fenders), doors, whatever. The cost to fill it was shared, and I don’t really remember the actual cost, but shared it was not much really.

We would stack the tank with as much as we could get in it, then let it soak for a week. It helps with a large tank, even one much smaller than this, to have a pump to circulate the molasses mix occasionally, say for half an hour, once or twice a day, it makes it work better. I used an old pump from a washing machine. Then every Saturday morning, we would get everything out of the tank and lay it on the lawn and clean it with a good pressure cleaner. The speed that the molasses works depends on temperature, thickness of rust, paint and age of molasses. It will deteriorate with use and although it smells great to start off with, it will eventually start to smell quite bad, although still work OK. At this stage it pays to have the tank not too close to wives, neighbours, etc. Eventually the process will slow down and if you wish to continue, a new batch will be required, but depending on use that may be a year or so down the track.

After cleaning all our parts with the water blaster, anything not properly cleaned would go into the bath for another week. What we were satisfied with we would paint with diluted Phosphoric Acid, the stuff that crash repairers use to treat bare panels before painting, but not quite as diluted as they would use, because most of the parts were not being used straight away. The acid has two purposes. When pressure cleaned, the metal is super clean and will start to rust before your eyes, the acid will remove this rust, again before your eyes. The second is that it will protect the metal from rusting for some time, This depends on your climate and how/where it is stored, but in our dry climate, I still have some of these panels in perfect condition after 15 years in the shed. Of course, if the cleaned parts are mechanical, not panels, it may be more appropriate to coat with something else.

Jason, you are quite correct in your comments that if you try to do only half a panel, then the other half a week or so later, the cleaned part will start rusting again immediately. You may be able to get away with it though, by treating it with Phosphoric, but its best not to. I bought an old household heating oil tank from a scrap metal dealer for $5 that holds about 200 litres and was able to do two DA doors at a time. The tank is steel, and will rust badly at the "waterline", and may not last that long, but cheap. Use whatever you can get, it does not have to be plastic. Remember, if you are doing doors, the molasses will clean the inside as well, so you will need to pressure clean then protect the insides too. Ultimately spray in some rust protective paint that will creep into all the folds, joins, etc. Not sure what you use in USA, but I have used Fish Oil or a product called Extroll Rust Conqueror here in Australia.

Good luck, if you are not in a hurry, it works well.

Regards,

John

I use Rust Away on some small parts like the rusted heater doors on the old Accessory heaters. It takes longer than they say but works well. I check on it regularly. I have seen you tube videos on the molasses and it works very well. There is video of a guy submerging a whole car body in it. Then power washing it after a few weeks of soaking if I remember correctly. He restores cars so its worth paying for all that molasses.

Sorry. I've been out of town for a couple of days. The parts came out nice and clean, and I learned some things - I didn't agitate the molasses mix (about 1-7) at all, and when I went back to look, a thick covering of mold had formed over the top. I didn't have a power washer, so I held the piece under a faucet, and scrubbed with a brush to clean off the film that had formed. A bit of work, but very doable for me. I did some cast iron, and brass (or was it bronze?) carb parts, a harmonica cover plate (plated steel) in a small plastic fridge tray. The rust was completely gone after seven days. The cleaned parts are on the right and the front. Now, I'm looking to do my utility sink and work on my headlights, and like - sized parts.

post-45205-143138865972_thumb.jpg

quote.........I just picked up a wash tank that has an air line at the bottom to agitate anything that's in there..........anything to get out of physical labor :P

You are correct Jason BUT instead of "Laziness" let's call it"Multi-Task Time Management". I could be doing something else while the parts are cooking! You know, like watching a bikini volley ball game, Having a beer, or something else constructive. Sure beats the heck out of suiting up and spending the day sandblasting and then half the night removing sand from every crevice in your body. You have a better way??????

Lazy Bill

What channel is the bikini volleyball game on? Oh, and what size, approximately, is your tank?

Hello Willy!

I am not much of a sports fan because of the time spent under cars. Last summer ESPN had a bikini volleyball game on while I was taking a "Break" and not much more got done on the car. They have even come out with bikini football so the "Break" times might be getting longer! If they come out with bikini basketball the TV will have to come out of the garage......

Here is the tank, the size is 20" x 40" x 24" deep. Not big enough for doors but it was cheap. Notice the air line at the bottom. This makes it a "Jacuzzi" for molasses! I will stop this next week and pick up the molasses and try it next weekend. The weather forecast shows above normal temps so the stuff won't freeze.

post-52313-143138878798_thumb.jpg

post-52313-143138878802_thumb.jpg