MN title on antique car

karasmer

Guest real550A

Pretty sure it's a crime to change a car to match a title (VIN). That's not to say it's not being done, just that I wouldn't advise it. As always, buyer beware!

Guest Foggy norm

State's have different procedure's, mostly the same. Go to the Sec of State/ Dept' of trans. office, where you get your plate's, they'll tell you what you need...type of paperwork. It's not a hassel and no different than transferring/requesting a new title.

It is very simple. Just go to the deputy regester and ask for a statment of facts form. Fill it out as to why there is no title and attatch a bill of sale .You will need 4 pictures one each of the rear,front,both sides.You will have to buy regular plates the first time then you can get pioneer or collector plates later. Marv

Guest Richie09

crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Talk:how_to_title_a_hot_rod (not sure if hot rod is one word)

Not necessarily speaking to hot rod titles but motor vehicles that are undocumented and what people have done to work through the processes in all States to obtain a title.

I have found this site very helpful with dos and donts and how to proceed with the least amount of hassle and expense at motor vehicle departments.

Hope this helps, Richie

The last time I registered an untitled auto in MN., not only did you need the bill of sale and pictures, you needed a bond to protect the buyer from a previous owner laying claim to the car. I had to do this twice on extremely old autos. The bonds lasted two years and it was advised that no work should be done on them in the event that a previuos owner came forward. The bond also protected you in the event that the auto was stolen years ago and sold in today's market. This happened many years ago, so the rules may have changed since then. Good luck and research it.

Caddyshack, it must have been a few years ago you did yours.I have done a couple recently and there was no bond required.As to the taxes i think i only paid the 10$ excise tax and the liscence fees transfer etc.It really wasn't very much money to do it.If i remember the last one was around 80$ .It was a 1953 gmc that was last liscenced in 1972.

I bought a 1932 Packard that was last licensed in 1956 about 12 years ago. All I had was a 1956 MN registration. On the back of the registration was an area for signing over the ownership of the vehicle. It was signed by the last owner. I took this to my DMV, at that time Illinois, and they were of course "confused". They called Springfield and were told that MN didn't have titles before I think 1973 and that they could use the registration sign off I had. It worked and they issued me an IL title at that time. I have since moved to Indiana and transferred that title.

So I don't think there is any way you are going to find an original title for a pre 70's MN car. I imagine the procedures depicted by others here will work just fine.

Howard

• 1 year later...
Guest Walker1980

ANY classic vehicle WILL NOT have a title. This applies to ALL states.

Prior to 1973 or 1974 somewheres in that time frame a TRANSFERRABLE registration was all that was issued as in the form of a title.

The reg. will have an old and new owner line on the reverse that would be signed in the traditional way a title is issued.

Since the registration must be present in the vehicle at all times my suggestion would be to obtain the transferrable registration and make a color photocopy keeping the original at home with where youd normally store auto titles. That way if it gets stolen noone can lay claim. If cops frown oh well you have the original at home to fight them with.

And last i checked a valid bill of sale is all youd really need and dmv is supposed to do a check on vin. They can even do it prior to you even purchasing a vehicle to be certain all will go smoothly.

States are different but this is based on ny state info i obtained in late 90s and we all know ny is tough. I also inquired with wisconsin few years ago when i was considering a 41 plymouth last reg in 1968. Same info given

Hope this clarifies the no title question.

:)

Walker1980,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. You have replied to a discussion that is a year and a half old. I am sure that the original poster has received the information that he was seeking.

Also, some of your information is inaccurate. Some states do not issue titles to antique cars. Some do. Different States have different laws concerning antique car titles and registration. It is always important to pay close attention to the particular laws of your state concerning any questions of antique car titles, registration, and similar issues.

Guest real550A

Agree with MCHinson....one of my Model A's came from NC, with a title. I transferred it to MN, and am looking at the MN Certificate of Title right now.

Guest Walker1980

Agreed come to think of it. I do remember a listing on ebay for a 1959 lark that had an actual title. I thought hey maybee they did it via a private titling company.

Idk but its good info to have handy

You learn something new every day.

I apologise i didnt look at the date when i posted lol

Geoff

MN does issue titles for any vehicle registered today. If you buy a car in MN you have to have the title to tranfer it. You can file for an abandoned vehicle status in which the dmv will send paperwork to the last registered owner. If the owner doesn't claim the car in 90 days you can pay the tranfer fee and they will send you a title in your name. But to make it simple that car wont hit the road till you see that title.

Guest Joe Kieliszek

Hello, I had to get a court ordered title for my brass Buick after the state of Ohio would not grant me one. I bought the car with a state of Kansas title which wasn't signed off by a previous buyer (the car was flipped twice without title transfer before I came along). It took several forms from the local title office, a state highway patrol vehicle inspection, and a visit to the county courthouse for the judge to sign the court order. With that document in hand, it only took an hour to get my Ohio title and tempory plate(s). Phew:p!!! Thanks, Joe.

I just dragged out the old MN. title from 1979, and a red stamp on the title says "secured by surety bond for three years from date of filing". The title is clear now. But, twenty-six years after the original owner passed away in '79, I got a call from a collector who purchased a 1925 "State of MN. Registration Card" showing the name of my deceased owner and who he bought it from in 1936. What are the chances of finding an original paper trail that has been missing since the 30's? Very lucky.

Guest captain zoom

there is always a way. check ebay and craiglist as there are individuals doing the paperwork for you to get a legal title for the vehicle you are working on.

karasmer,

The statment of facts method will only work if there is no owner of record on file in the dmv database. Old records are purged from the system after a few years now.

I am going to apply for a title this friday

for a 26 ford coupe that was last liscenced in 1949 . Marv

Caddyshack, There is a form the dmv has that is called a "statement of facts" that works like a bill of sale.Four pics of both sides ,front and rear .You fill out the frorm stating why there is no title ,old plate no if any and serial no.And just get it signed by whoever you got it from. Keep in mind for vehicles that havent been registered in years there are no records. I bought the 26 from a garage on lake minniwawa by Mcgregor.

Marv

I expected title trouble with 2 Model T's I bought.

In both cases the sellers had never registered the cars in the state of Wisconsin.......they were both Wisconsin cars which helped I'm sure.

The first time I called the WI DMV and LUCKILY got a very nice, common sense, fella there. I explained the entire situation and he suggested I get a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from.

A complication on that one was the date was totally illegible....... :(

Anyway.......I figured OK.....this is easily done.

Then I asked him "How about if I leave the seller out of the picture altogether and just send in the title as it is?".......I could hear his smile over the phone, that's exactly what I did and it went through like a charm.

The second time it was the same situation except this title was clear as a bell.

I called again and went through the same story except THIS time I got some woman who, I could tell, was going to make a federal case out of it so I hung up, did the same thing again and it worked again......WHEW!

It sure is a relief when a clear title shows up in the mail!....... :)

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Did you submit a bill of sale or...? Did you have to tell them you got the car from? From what I understand if you tell the DMV you collected parts and assembled the car then an inspection is in order. I was right near Aitkin today checking out junk in the woods.

Just a statment of facts form and 4 pics.Said car was given to me by my father.Never tell them you built it from parts.It will just make tons of paperwork to get the same end result.If the car goes between relatives you can go with the collector plates rite away .Otherwise you need to get regular plates then after a year you can get collector plates or year of manufacture.

Did you find any good junk?

Marv

Edited by Marv Turner
added question (see edit history)