1932 Hupmobile FWD

X-Frame

This was part of a discussion thread in General about Front Wheel Drive cars.

I was given the email of someone who was an expert but got no reply (elderly).

Is anyone here familiar with the 1932 Hupmobile FWD prototype and know of the chassis configuration?

Thanks!

Eric

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dont remember when I saw the car, guessing 8 to 10 years ago at the ACD Reunion in Auburn In. Old friend of mine, known him since was 11 or 12. anyway, Well known Duesenberg restorer Joe Kauffman brought the car upto Auburn just having finished the restoration. Car was done in a blue over black with grey interiour. relatively small car as I remember with a vacuum assisited gear selector. The selector mounted to the steering column and was a peice of backlite plexiglass with a lever coming off of it, much like that moved much like a modern column mount automatic transmission gear selecter, giving out a little "poof" each time it was moved to the next gear from the vacuum leak when the shifter was moved. For some reason I think the car came out of the Pollard collection but dont quote me on that. My understanding was the car was sold to a museum after that weekend. fun little car to drive though.

To tell you the truth, I have been working on so many aspects of the book that this question was overlooked. Does anyone have info on what type of chassis it has. Is it a ladder frame? Custom built for this one off FWD? And does it have a X brace? Pics would be great!

Eric

• 3 years later...

Bringing this back up since I have run across a magazine photo.

Does anyone have a good picture or point me to one for the William J. Muller - Ruxton drivetrain 1935 Hupmobile Aerodynamic?  I know there was a 1932 version as well and it still exists - been restored?  Was it also a Muller creation?   Also, since both Hupp's were built when the company were using X braced frames, did they utilize it or were they on proprietary ladder types?   Thanks!

I have  the  info  you need  but  not till I get  home  to  my  northern  home..  I ts  not  possible to  bring  all  my  Hupmobile  stuff down  here. If  no  one  can  answer  your  question,  i will by the  end of April..

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:47 PM, Hupp36 said:

I have  the  info  you need  but  not till I get  home  to  my  northern  home..  I ts  not  possible to  bring  all  my  Hupmobile  stuff down  here. If  no  one  can  answer  your  question,  i will by the  end of April..

Just checking in since the end of the month is approaching and reminding you that I am still in need of the Muller designed 1936 Hupp FWD as well as the 1932 model.  But since I can only find reference in print that Muller through Archie Andrews, came up with the '36 version, is it assumed that Muller also created the '32 model as well even if there is no note about it?  This isn't the Muller designed 1931 Budd Special?  He created a car while at Budd, left in 1929 for Europe, Joseph Ledwinka came up with his own car but unibody which Muller was called back from Europe in 1931 to help finish... but his car he finished in 1928 (seen in photos also as a 1931) - wonder what happened to it?  It was the car they tried to pitch to Hupp but was rejected.

Thanks

Eric

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2012 at 9:05 AM, West Peterson said:

Is this what you're looking for?

Hupp-FWD-3.jpg

Apparently this one was restored but can not find pictures of the finished product?  Also, as in my other post, wonder how this fits in with the Bill Muller creations since all I see his name linked to is a car he created at Budd and finished in 1928 which was pitched to Hupp but rejected.  Joseph Ledwinks also created one at Budd that Muller helped finish the drive in 1931 and Citroen used it as inspiration for the Traction Advant.  Then there is the Ruxton prototypes which have nothing to do with this... and the 1936 Hupp Aerodynamic I am waiting on a picture of outside a small printed pic I have in the 1965 Car Life magazine.  But there is no reference that I have run across, including Muller interviews, that mentions a 1932 Hupp version though he would be back at Budd by this time and suspect Archie Andrews still on both company boards?

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

I wasn't there, but read that there was a 1935 Hupmobile Aerodynamic at the Mason Thrall Auction in Westport, CT. You know, the one with the '12 Mercer. It was held 10/18/14 by the Dragone Bros. I had never heard of a Hupmobile Aerodynamic before and don't know if this one was front wheel drive. The '35 sold for more than the '31 Hupmobile, '12 Oakland, or '35 Airflow, though: $69,300.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:38 PM, Hupp36 said:

Looking at  the  grill,  it  tells me  its a 1935 model.

Chuck, thanks for the '35 Hupp FWD article. Any idea where it ended up?  And still not sure about the '32 model seen above unrestored.  Who designed and built it?  There is no mention by Muller or anywhere else I have run across yet, that says this one was built but obviously it was. Any background about it?

Eric

• 5 years later...