First Post from New Member

Guest 501 Club

Guest 501 Club

This is my first post on AACA, so forgive me if I don't follow protocol. I am also a new member of TC America (#8788) which sent me a great newsletter in December. I purchased a '90 YBB 16V in Oct. of last year. The TC is an original California vehicle, although it has been all over the country and is now in the mid-west. Only 55000 original miles and all original including the delaminating clearcoat. I love to drive it and do so often. One of my first projects slated for the car was to restore the Porthole windows (do we call them porthole or opera?). Since the Dec. TC America newsletter had an article on Pg 4 of how to restore them and my TC really needed restoration, I decided to tackle it.

Instead of using a knife to remove the outer window, I used a plastic keychain discount card (like from Home Depot or a grocery store). The card is great for bending while still retaining some rigidity which allowed me to get some "air" between the interior and exterior windows. This took the better part of an hour working slow and moving the original film around to create gaps and allow air underneath. I was then able to slide a putty knife between the windows and slowly work it around and release the exterior window. Then it was just a matter of cleaning that horrible smelling film off and re-installing with Silicone adhesive. The TC emblem on one side has been slightly tarnished, but is still usable. The windows now look like new. I have posted pictures and look forward to post from others. Have fun!

post-80048-143138825618_thumb.jpg

post-80048-14313882562_thumb.jpg

post-80048-143138825622_thumb.jpg

post-80048-143138825623_thumb.jpg

post-80048-143138825625_thumb.jpg

post-80048-143138825626_thumb.jpg

post-80048-143138825628_thumb.jpg

post-80048-143138825629_thumb.jpg

post-80048-14313882563_thumb.jpg

Guest My TC Toy

Welcome to the thread. I have the same vehicle ('90YBB) I purchased four years ago and shipped to Newfoundland. Love the car.

Good job on the opera windows. Like you said slow and care are the by-words. The only problem I see, though, is with the silicone spray, I would suggest a good silicone caulk. The silicone spray is more of a lubricant. Put a small bead around the glass and crystal (the outside piece is actually bevelled crystal) and make certain they are well sealed together.

Maybe other members can offer more information.

Best of luck.

Bob

Edited by My TC Toy (see edit history)

Guest 501 Club

Thanks for the reply My TC Toy. I should have been a little more descriptive in my restoration process. I used the silicone spray before I attempted to remove the outer glass. I found there was enough of a gap in between the glass that I thought if I could get some silicone spray down there, it may help release it.

One note I want to tell others who want to restore their windows is that I used a household silicone caulk to put the outer crystal back on, and it did not hold. I had clean all the new household silicone caulk off and re-glue it with Permatex adhesive silicone. Lesson learned.

Guest My TC Toy

The reason the silicone caulk did not hold, I suspect, is because you used the silicone lube to release the original glass. Once you cleaned off the original lubricant, after the failure, your silicone caulk would have worked OK.

Glad it worked out though.

• 2 years later...
Guest TJDasen2

This is awesome. The portholes on my '91 are so badly fogged I considered having them frosted over for a uniform look. Now it looks like I won't have to!

But just to be safe, let me repeat what I've read in this and a couple other threads.

1 - While the porthole is in the top, heat the exterior portion with a blowdryer. The interior glass stays in the top.

2 - Take a small suction cup and attach to the window in order to better grip it and control the release.

3 - Using a small plastic store card, start to loosen the edges of the porthole, spraying silicone lubricant around the edge and let it sink in.

4 - Continue using plastic store card or small plastic scraper to pry windows apart.

5 - Go slowly. Don't rush.

6 - Use suction cup to pull the windows apart.

7 - Scrape off the laminate being careful of the Maserati emblem.

8 - Clean both windows thoroughly with a lint free cloth.

9 - Place beveled glass back into position using suction cup and using an adhesive silicone, seal the edges of the porthole.

10-Finish smoothing sealant with a plastic spoon.

11-Let cure.

12-Admire your clean windows.

Did I get it right?

Tim Dasenbrock

Southern Illinois

1991 Exotic Red/Ginger

Guest 501 Club

Your description is easier to read than mine. I would love for you to edit or amend it with your experience for others to follow. Let us know how yours turn out.

This is awesome. The portholes on my '91 are so badly fogged I considered having them frosted over for a uniform look. Now it looks like I won't have to!

But just to be safe, let me repeat what I've read in this and a couple other threads.

1 - While the porthole is in the top, heat the exterior portion with a blowdryer. The interior glass stays in the top.

2 - Take a small suction cup and attach to the window in order to better grip it and control the release.

3 - Using a small plastic store card, start to loosen the edges of the porthole, spraying silicone lubricant around the edge and let it sink in.

4 - Continue using plastic store card or small plastic scraper to pry windows apart.

5 - Go slowly. Don't rush.

6 - Use suction cup to pull the windows apart.

7 - Scrape off the laminate being careful of the Maserati emblem.

8 - Clean both windows thoroughly with a lint free cloth.

9 - Place beveled glass back into position using suction cup and using an adhesive silicone, seal the edges of the porthole.

10-Finish smoothing sealant with a plastic spoon.

11-Let cure.

12-Admire your clean windows.

Did I get it right?

Tim Dasenbrock

Southern Illinois

1991 Exotic Red/Ginger