ID Plate and what else on toe board?

MikeC5

I was examining the toe board from my '25 touring car and it appears there were two other smaller plates nailed on there at one time. One is a smaller rectangle ( around 2" x 1") and the other looks like it was an oval, around 1.5" on the major axis. Any idea what these were? I haven't seen anything other than the ID plate available repro. I'll take a photo tonight...

Mike, Is your vehicle an original CT car? Does the reg. still carry the original VIN#?. As you may know Ct DMV very often issued their own # (plate was affixed)much the size of the small outline you have shown. This was done where they could not find the VIN on the frame (DB engine #'s don't match anyway which probably gave them pause). Also they wanted to see the # in two places...so who knows..just a thought.Bill

Might not help but at least 29/30 cars had the serial number plate ( larger one that you show outline of ) and a smaller rectangular plate that simply said Dodge Brothers below it. Seemed sort of repetitious but what do I know.

Don't have a clue on the oval plate

Unfortunately, I got very little information with the car. The person I bought it from bought it from someone in New Jersey who said he'd gotten in in Philadelphia, PA from someone who had it in a garage for over 50 years (it must have had a leaky roof). No registration came with the car. The only clue is it has a State of PA inspection sticker on the windshield from 1947. The ID tag was still on the toe plate; pretty ratty looking but the number is still easily read. Maybe dealers added their tag as some put the dealership name on a decal or license plate frame these days? I'm still going to try and run down the inspection location, number 6832. Apparently each station had a number back then.

Mike,I think you posted that you are in the middle of restoring so I assume you haven't tried getting it registered yet?Being from out of state you will have to bring it to DMV for VIN verification....can you find it on the frame?I think other than that you need a bill of sale with that VIN. Mine also came form Pa by way of an Me. auction.

Tex, you are right as I have not delved into the complexities of getting it registered in CT. Would not the number on the ID plate suffice for registering? I have a BOS but it uses the ID plate number. I can get the number off the frame though if it has to be done. I'm still in contact with the seller so re-writing the BOS would not be an issue. Does CT require you put blinkers or other updates on the car?

Tex, you are right as I have not delved into the complexities of getting it registered in CT. Would not the number on the ID plate suffice for registering? I have a BOS but it uses the ID plate number. I can get the number off the frame though if it has to be done. I'm still in contact with the seller so re-writing the BOS would not be an issue. Does CT require you put blinkers or other updates on the car?

Mike...I live in CT, too, and when I registered my car the BOS & CO title had the number cast into the engine block as its serial number! The DOT was ready to pass that right through, but I told them I wanted that corrected. So, they had me go over to the inspection station where I pointed out the problem and showed them the ID plate on the passenger door frame. They verified the true serial number, changed the forms and everything sailed right through. You aren't required to update a car with anything it didn't come with, such as seat belts or turn signals.

I, however have since added turn signals 'cause, well since you live in CT you know how the drivers are around here! :eek:

BTW, in CT you don't even need a previous title, or even a safety inspection to register a car over 25 years old.

Mike, re;YOM plates...I have heard that there could be possible legislation in 2012 to reverse their use...apparently because DMV doesn't link the YOM plate to the vehicle (you still have to have the antique plates/registration)s the police can't identify the owner.Keep your ears open for any change. I think its stupid as I and no one I know leaves their collector cars unattended.

The state of CT goes by the frame # (if they look for one). The ID plate may pass thru without further search of other confirming #'s. Generally nailed or screwed on plates to not carry the same weight as a stamped # on the frame because it can be easily changed.Therefore if they find a frame # ..that will be your VIN regardless of other plates or paperwork.

Thanks for the tips Tex. One would think that with the computerized records it would be a simple matter to link the YOM plate number (which you have to show them anyway) to the antique plate number. If I remember correctly, the number stamped on the frame would normally be covered by the front fender (or hood side rail covers) and one would have to either disassemble some things at DMV or drive there missing some sheet metal.

Mike....My understaning is DMV actually puts your YOM plate on a copier...God knows what they do with the copy?Thats Gov't for you,rather legislate away a good thing than add a simple entry in the computer. Your '25 I believe is the same as my '27...you can see the frame # without removing anything.

Isnt that something, sorry you did respond. I dont know where my memory is going I guess. Our wives should get together, they could really have some fun. Thanks again