identifying a Hupmobile wheel

Guest hooked70

Guest hooked70

Greetings!

I'm a fan of industrial design, so when I found this wheel at a farm auction this week, I bought it to mount on a wall or table in my office.

However, I've been looking around and can't figure out what model it's from. Any ideas? I forgot to measure the diameters of the wheel and hub, but I can get that if it's needed for proper identification. Also, is the 'missing' piece on the front side of the rim part of the mounting design, or did someone snip a piece out for some unknown reason?

Too bad I didn't find the rest of the car in that barn.

Thanks in advance for the help/insight.

Joe

post-82862-143138822593_thumb.jpg

post-82862-143138822599_thumb.jpg

If I tell you what model Hupp it came off, will you swap it to me for a restored wooden wheel with a NOS hub cap? And yes, I do have the rest of the car that these wheels came on. Chuck This is a pic of what the wheel looks like that I would swap for the 1 you have.

post-60296-143138822615_thumb.jpg

Guest hooked70
If I tell you what model Hupp it came off, will you swap it to me for a restored wooden wheel with a NOS hub cap? And yes, I do have the rest of the car that these wheels came on. Chuck This is a pic of what the wheel looks like that I would swap for the 1 you have.

Chuck -

Funny, I just thought the wheel looked good and no one was bidding, so I bought it. Now you want to swap for it and someone else already offered me $ for it.

I'm really just interested in finding out about it and don't have a need for another, restored wheel, but thanks for the offer! The car in your picture with the restored wheel looks like it's gorgeous, by the way.

Ok Heres the scoop. What you have is a SPECIAL wheel that was a factory option for a 1928 or1929 Hupmobile Model A. They had to come from the factory because they required a different hub assembly. The missing piece in your wheel, is not realy missing. I would say they have an 18in. lock ring on a 19in. wheel. This lock ring is removed when you need to change the tire or have a flat. You can also remove the 6 wheel studs and put the spare tire on . I did not mean to offend you in any way by offering to trade a $200 wheel & hubcap for yours. I have 5 of these wheels for a car that requires 6. I will keep looking. Chuck

Guest hooked70
Ok Heres the scoop. What you have is a SPECIAL wheel that was a factory option for a 1928 or1929 Hupmobile Model A. They had to come from the factory because they required a different hub assembly. The missing piece in your wheel, is not realy missing. I would say they have an 18in. lock ring on a 19in. wheel. This lock ring is removed when you need to change the tire or have a flat. You can also remove the 6 wheel studs and put the spare tire on . I did not mean to offend you in any way by offering to trade a $200 wheel & hubcap for yours. I have 5 of these wheels for a car that requires 6. I will keep looking. Chuck

Hi, Chuck.

Definitely no offense taken and thanks so much for the education! I just didn't need another wheel to replace this one. I liked the idea of having this one on my wall because I liked the look of it and I found it in a barn, so there was a good story to go along with it.

However, if it's something that's rare that you could use, seems stupid to waste it hanging on my wall. I've got lots of industrial parts already hanging here, so if you want this we can work something out. I'd rather see it put to good use. I'm in Ohio.

Hi Joe You like industrial design. Raymond Loewy designed some Hupmobiles 2 different 1932 , 33 and 34 models the F & I. In 1934 to 1937. He did the aerodynamic Models J,T,O,G,D and N. I have 5 out of 8 he designed. Here is a pic of my best. A 1936-621-N,1 of 21 producted. He was a member of our Hupmobile Club until the Great Designer called him. Oh, my better half say's, do not forget to tell Joe that he designed the coke bottle,the comet train and changed lucky strike form green & red to red & white. Hupplng Yours Chuck

post-60296-14313882277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hupp36
Forgot 1model (see edit history)

Guest hooked70
Hi Joe You like industrial design. Raymond Loewy designed some Hupmobiles 2 different 1932 , 33 and 34 models the F & I. In 1934 to 1937. He did the aerodynamic Models J,T,O,G,D and N. I have 5 out of 8 he designed. Here is a pic of my best. A 1936-621-N,1 of 21 producted. He was a member of our Hupmobile Club until the Great Designer called him. Oh, my better half say's, do not forget to tell Joe that he designed the coke bottle,the comet train and changed lucky strike form green & red to red & white. Hupplng Yours Chuck

That's great that you have that many of these great cars. Beautiful car in the picture!

If you ever want this wheel, let me know. It'll just be hanging on my wall.

And thanks again for the information. It's nice to know what I have when someone asks, given that when I first glanced at it I thought it might be from a Hudson with a weird logo.