tires...help me spend some $$$$

Now that I am sure I am driving to Richmond in June, 200+ miles, should I try to make it on 12 year old tires? Or get new bias belted red stripe, get some points I need, or just get some inexpensive radials? The radials I have are in good condition, driven to shows every year on them, max about 75 miles one way. I am just concerned about the 200 miles at 60 MPH, and loosing a tire, and who knows what else! I even work for a tire company, and I just can't make up my mind, so I am asking for your input. Points or ride? Thanks for the help. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Have you thought about trying Coker's redline radials?<P>I got into this same thing in 1996. My 69 Toronado had a set of Goodrich radials that had about 13k on them since installed in 1988. Olds Nationals were in Atlanta that year, in August. Even though the tires were nowhere close to worn out treadwise, they were dry-rotted in the sidewalls. And I thought, do I dare drive this car, fully loaded with three of us and gear, 6 hours at interstate speeds in 90 degree heat? Common sense kicked in and I went after tires, and naturally on Friday before we were to leave Tuesday, there were no 255/70R15 BFG tires to be had in this city. And no chance of getting any before Tuesday afternoon. So I dropped a size and decided to contend with speedometer calibration when we got back.<P>And here I am, six years later, with a set of BFG tires, 10k on them and developing small sidewall cracks, and me thinking of driving this car to Lansing in August! The 1976 Ninety Eight needed new shoes last year. I bought mid-priced tires for it, knowing I'd never wear them out before they rotted.<P>There's times I think old cars have dry-rotted me brain... wink.gif" border="0

Great car! I looked at the pics on your website.<P>I can tell you that your question is one that my vintage tire experts here at Coker are asked all the time. Do I put radials on my collector car or jump for the original stuff??<P>1. The tires that are on your car currently unless they are extremely dry rotted, or "oxidized" are probably safe enough to do your couple hundred mile trip. <P>2. If you plan to show the car for points often, I would clearly consider the original F70-15. I would definitely put redlines on that beautiful yellow car. Yellow and redlines look fantasic!<P>3. If you are not concerned so much about the judging, you could buy modern radials, or if you want the ride AND the look of the redlines, we have a redline radial that is made at a Michelin licensed plant that is very good. I run a set on my 1965 GTO. <P>Best of luck to you, and your beautiful 68 Vette!<P>Corky Coker<BR>corkyc@coker.com

AFTER A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP, AND A TALK W/ MY WIFE, I THINK I AM GOING WITH THE NEW BIAS BELTED RED LINES. LOOK FOR A SET OF EXTRA WHEELS, AND PUT THE OLD RADIALS ON THEM! wink.gif" border="0 <BR>THE RADIALS ARE NOT DRY, CRACKED OR LOOK BAD AT ALL. SO THATS THAT! THANKS, AND ANY MORE INPUT IS APPRECIATED. smile.gif" border="0

Ernie. I was in the same boat last year. When a lot of apprehension builds up: "Do I, or, Don't I". Concerning tires, go for it.<P>In my case, the car is 30 years old. Replaced the originals 19 years ago. Last year, I bit the bullet and bought the third set, Michelin 185-15 Redlines.<P>In my case, I want it to be original.<P>Observation: The 1983 (2nd set) cost $49.95 each. The 2002 (3rd set) cost $170.00 each.<BR>One thing for certain, I feel safer with the new ones, not to mention looks. You cannot go wrong with Coker. I am very satisfied.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0

You've made the right decision if you care about winning. You'll be in a tough class to start with, and giving up 15 points off the top would put you at a terrible disadvantage. Apparently your Vette is a 1968, so the bias tire is sort of an obvious choice. Us old guys drove on them most of our lives and we got by during those times.<P>My problem has been more difficult in that I am restoring a 1971 Buick Riviera which came with H78x15 narrow white walls, or with J78x15 as an option. Another option was the H70x15 wide oval. I do believe I can prove too, that various radial options for this car were available, based on the information on the inside of the glovebox door; however, none of those sizes is available.<P>I would not consider a nearest size because all of them are smaller. So, no sooner did I buy five beautiful new P225R75x15 2-inch white wall Goodyears, then Corky Coker is bringing out the J78x15. First, I want to thank Coker Tires as this new tire is certainly appreciated; Second I will tell you I've ordered the first five to come in, and Third does anybody want those beautiful Goodyear's? My new Buick runs 16-inch tires, as does my Suburban smile.gif" border="0<P>[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: Dynaflash8 ]<p>[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: Dynaflash8 ]