Disappointment --

Guest dkhunt

Recently I posted a thread telling about a 1936 Buick Century that a full restoration had begun on way back in the late 1970's... the car is probably 75-80% done... and it has been sitting in a garage for the past 25 years. Then I found it and bought it... I was told that it was a Century (and I think the previous owner truly believed that)... then I joined that BCA and just recently got a reprint from last year that was dedicated to the 1936 Buicks... looks like the big distinguishing factor between the "Special", "Century", and the "Roadmaster" is the wheelbase (along with other features)... I double checked mine and it turns out that its a Special and NOT a Century. Oh well I guess... still... the car will be cool when I'm all done... I guess it just won't be quite as valuable. If anyone has any words of wisdom with regards to the Buick Special I'm all ears... :confused:

Guest Grant Magrath

Hey, it's still a Buick! And a straight 8. And if you do an awesome restoration, no-one's going to say "wow, great car, shame it's not a Century!" All they'll see is a beautiful piece of automotive art!

Cheers

Grant

I do hear it said a lot "oh, it's just a Special"

I'm with Ben on this one and say there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Special.

Make it a positive and think of the fuel savings you have. :):)

I have one of each and love them both.

Danny

You guys are right... the car is still a cool car... at least it will be when I complete the work! Fortunately for me, a LOT of the work has already been done and MOST all of the money has already been spent -- before I got it the previous owner had the frame and all body panels dipped and phosphated... plus the engine, trans, and rear end have all been completely rebuilt to as-new specs. The chassis is assembled and rolling - (along with a new wood floor). All new glass, new wiring harness, all chrome (except the grill) has been either replated or replaced. I've got a little body work to do on the rear doors and then begin reassembling her. I've got to come up with upholstery material for the interior but I've had some very helpful responses to my other post. Thanks for the words of encouragement -- gonna be a great project.

Keith, nice car. It will look great when you are done. It is really nice that you were able to get it roughly 80% done, especially with the detail work, which is the most tedious part of restoring a car. Keep us posted with progress pictures.

Ben- as requested -- here are a few pics of the left side of the engine.

Also, I spent a little time today sifting through some of the boxes... WOW! Seeing all the chrome parts that have been redone... along with all the emblems that have been reworked... the guy REALLY spent a lot of time and money on this... no doubt I could get more than my money back by parting this all out but that would just be WRONG! I'm pushing forward and I'm excited about doing this... I wish there were more enthusiasts and chapters in this area... nothing close by here in Northeast Louisiana.

Thanks again everyone for the words of encouragement -- this is going to be a great project... who knows... maybe I'll get to drive my two daughters to their weddings one day (they are 14 and 5, so it better not be ANY time soon)!

post-81408-143138820712_thumb.jpg

post-81408-143138820723_thumb.jpg

post-81408-143138820732_thumb.jpg

post-81408-143138820743_thumb.jpg

Keith, it will be a fine car when it is done and I think you'll quickly put the "Century" thing behind you as you progress with the resto. And, a sidemounted Special is pretty rare. Not to stir things up, but if the person that sold you the car is the one who did all the work, I would have a very difficult time believing that he didn't know the car was a Special and not a Century. At this stage in a restoration, the difference in value would approach a couple grand and so your disappointment is justified. Perhaps it is just the difference in a good deal versus a great deal? It does look like someone started off doing this one the right way. When someone goes to the trouble to remove the door center post, you know that they were serious at some point. Good Luck with it, the '36 is still my favorite!

Not to STIR up issues, I am thinking that if this were my car, I would give thought to discussing this issue with the person that sold me the car.

I don't know all the details, or do I need to, but maybe you could have a adult discussion with the seller, and get a bit of a refund. You were TRULY mislead, maybe not on purpose, but mislead.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

Keith,

All Buicks are a joy to drive, and be it a Roadmaster, Century, Limited, Super, or Special, each is "SPECIAL" in its own way. Get her on the road and drive on down here to Southeast Louisiana.

Come touring with the seven chapters of Louisiana Region AACA:

Cenla - Alexandria / Pineville

Contraband - Lake Charles

Evangeline - Lafayette

Baton Rouge

Lagniappe - Houma

Slidell

and my home chapter - St. Bernard

We also have another region in the Lafayette area:

Half-Fast Motoring Society - dedicated to "RunningBoard -Era cars"

Your very SPECIAL Buick is welcome to come and drive with us,

Marty

post-54863-143138822257_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138822277_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138822279_thumb.jpg

Great-looking car. It does seem strange that at some point in the restoration the previous owner wouldn't have realized that the dimensions of his car didn't match a Century. Wishful thinking? Anyway, if you didn't pay a bunch, you did well. I don't know how far from Lafayette you are, but John R. Young in Eunice passes around Half Fast and Evangeline chapter tour photos, and they seem to be quite active. There are definitely some Buick folks there.

Having been born there, collected cars there, and toured there, isn't it funny how active AACA is in Louisiana from Alexandria south, and how inactive north.....and there are some great people in that state that collect and tour cars, but the numbers are a fraction of what you find in the northeast....

When I first moved to Winchester Va. in the late 1980's, there was the annual show coming up, and I was bragging to someone about the "all club" show that was being held in New Orleans at that time. I went on to say what a big show, over 200 cars. By the way, how many cars come to this little town of 25,000? Oh, 500 to 600, was the reply!!!!

Not as big now, but the difference was staggering.....

David,

I think part of that problem between the North and the South (other than the little disagreement a few years ago) is the weather. North of the Mason - Dixon, the weather for half the year is unpredictable, at the least, and bad at its worst. A lot of us up here end up storing the car for 3 - 6 months, not being able to get it out to cruise.

During the late spring (after the last snow), summer and into fall up here, things are really hopping. Many restaurants, drive in's and clubs have major cruises and impromptu shows with hundreds of cars showing up. Heck, we even have the Wooward Dream Cruise ( The Woodward Dream Cruise > Home ) in late August, where about 50,000 classics come out of the woodwork from all over the country and even world for almost a two week period cruising a major Detroit boulevard day and night.

Just some thoughts from the today, not so cold North! :D

Just to chime in,

Denver is getting 10-20 inches of snow right now.

Ft Collins (Sandy) should have 3-6 inches

Up here in Buena Vista (8500 ft) we got only an inch or two, but it is cold and blowing.

The "baby" is up on blocks now, waiting for new brake shoes (being done in Denver).

Mama and I are heading to Florida soon.

Our tour/show season runs from April thru October (7-12ths of the year).

Lucky you,

Mike in Colorado

Recently I posted a thread telling about a 1936 Buick Century that a full restoration had begun on way back in the late 1970's... the car is probably 75-80% done... and it has been sitting in a garage for the past 25 years. Then I found it and bought it... I was told that it was a Century (and I think the previous owner truly believed that)... then I joined that BCA and just recently got a reprint from last year that was dedicated to the 1936 Buicks... looks like the big distinguishing factor between the "Special", "Century", and the "Roadmaster" is the wheelbase (along with other features)... I double checked mine and it turns out that its a Special and NOT a Century. Oh well I guess... still... the car will be cool when I'm all done... I guess it just won't be quite as valuable. If anyone has any words of wisdom with regards to the Buick Special I'm all ears... :confused:

Keith,

Most people don't know the difference between a Century and a Special and I can see how a twin sidemount equipped Special could be mistaken for a Century. Essentially the body from the cowl back is identical so externally they look the same, apart from the extra 4 or so inches in the hood to accomodate the 320 cu in motor.

You will find the Special a comfortable and reliable car ideally suited to rallying, plenty of room for passengers and luggage, availability of heaters and radios to add the touch of luxury on those multi day tours. You will find the 233 cubic in engine responsive and will haul you along at a speed in keeping with other cars of similar vintage ( including Ford V8's ).

I have a 1934 with the same motor and the Fords struggle to keep up.

The restoration work that has been done already looks first rate - you're way ahead already with the completed mechanical work ( motors are expensive to rebuild nowdays - especially the bottom end babbit bearings ).

So concentrate on getting this beauty on the road - she been waiting awhile now and any help you need will, I'm sure, be forthcoming from the great members of this Forum.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.