Dynaflow problems

Guest silverevil44

Guest silverevil44

I've got a 1952 Buick Special that recently has been having some issues. Specifically, it doesn't like hills. If it's anything more than a slight incline the car will struggle to climb it without a running start. It's completely stock and has the correct fluid level. This can't be normal can it? I've only had the car for a little while and I'm still learning a lot about it so any info would be appreciated.

Welcome to AACA's Buick Forum!!

No, that is not normal for Dynaflow. Although i'm familiar with a Dynaflow's operation; I'm not a a transmission expert, nor even much of mechanic.

Someone that knows better than me will come along with some useful information, soon.

I would change out the transmission fluid. If it persists, take it to a a transmission shop. Not just any shop.

Call around and askthe shops; If they know Dynaflow transmission. Dynaflowas are usually very reliable and strong. But, not everyone knows how to work on them.

i just had mine rebuilt, came in at $650 done with the kit

thats with me putting it in and out though

i would say

1st--drain the oil and drop the pan, look at the screen in it

2nd-- drain the torque converter and put the pan back on and put all new oil in it with new screen

if it still does it there will be a tranny rebuild in your future

my email is

ghildebrand@wi.rr.com

Greg

Guest silverevil44

OK I'll give that a try and see what it does. Thanks a lot for replies, like I said I'm learning more about this car every day. The Dynaflow is both the slowest and smoothest transmission I've ever experienced. Does anyone know of any shops in the Seattle area that'll work on a Dynaflow?

OK I'll give that a try and see what it does. Thanks a lot for replies, like I said I'm learning more about this car every day. The Dynaflow is both the slowest and smoothest transmission I've ever experienced. Does anyone know of any shops in the Seattle area that'll work on a Dynaflow?

I agree with the comment above that this may not be a transmission issue.

With regard to Dynaflow shops in the Seattle area, I've had great success with:

(Trans Service - Lynnwood, WA) Home Page which is located in Lynnwood.

In addition, I've heard excellent reports on Sea-Tac Transmission, which has been supportive of Buick Club events in the area. While I have not utilized them personally, my friends with Dynaflows have great things to say about this shop.

Finally, I have also heard that Lake City Transmission is a quality resource for Dynaflow repairs.

There are also a number of excellent independent repair shops in the Seattle area that are owned and operated by BCA members, who could help diagnose and repair problems.

Guest silverevil44

I'm sure it's not the transmission oil. As for the RPM increase the engine was going flat out and we weren't moving at all up the hill. I had to back down it actually, boy was that fun. I'm going to take a look at it on Friday, thanks for the suggestions guys!

I have to say changing the trans fluid is premature for this. This is a classic sign of low transmission fluid in a dynaflow. I'm not trying to be a wise guy but I have to ask, did you check the fluid after the engine was warmed up and with the car ideling in Park?

Also, look at the trans dipstick. Did the cap thats on the stick come loose and slip up towards the top of the stick. My 56 does that. To check the fluid I have to hold the cap in the proper position on the stick while checking the fluid.

• Like 2

Also, look at the trans dipstick. Did the cap thats on the stick come loose and slip up towards the top of the stick. My 56 does that. To check the fluid I have to hold the cap in the proper position on the stick while checking the fluid.

My '58 dipstick does this.

Sounds like low fluid to me as well.

Do you have good giddy-up-an-go on flat land?

Guest shadetree77

Welcome to the forum silverevil44. Sorry I can't help much with your problem. I own a 52 Special as well but so far I haven't had any problems like you're describing. I'm sure someone here will be able to help. Do you have any pictures of your '52?

Do check the trans fluid as described above. That is, engine warm and idling, dipstick as discussed above.

If it is correct, you could have a blocked filter screen in the trans sump. That is tantamount to low fluid as the pump cannot pick up enough fluid. It may be worth dropping the transmission pan (new gasket needed) and checking the build up of deposits and the cleanliness of the screen.

If all is well, sadly, you need to investigate the trans further and in all likely hood, do a rebuild.

Is the problem the same in drive, low and in reverse? That will give us some more clues.

Adam..

Try sitting in the driveway and putting the car in Drive. Then hold your foot on the brake and press the gas easily, powerbrake. If the engine looses power, bucks and sputters, I would check the ignition system, probably spark plug wires first.

If the engine sounds strong and revs up but the car doesn't do much it time for some tranny attention.

That car has rubber seals in the transmission. If it sat for a long time they can dry out. You might get lucky with some old style transmission fixer in a can.

Its 60 years old so when you do remove the transmission be sure to slide the toque tube cover off and check the u-joints.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest justjoe

Sounds like you are sucking air instead of trans fluid. The intake screen is attached to the valve body with a rubber grommet, if that grommet is coming apart that could be your problem. Also a spring on the suction pipe keeps the screen at the bottom of the pan, that also should be checked.

I would remove the pan and clean everything up and check that screen.

good luck

the screen shot is of the shop manual with the trans upside down and the pan off

post-72206-143138834986_thumb.jpg

If you are confident that the fluid is correct then try this: Do like one of the previous posters suggested, put car in DR with brake pedal depressed and rev up engine. If the RPMS go way up, then return to idle and place transmission in LO and try the same test with brake pedal depressed and and rev up engine. If the RPMS DON'T GO UP, then your direct drive clutch is going bad and trans will need to be rebuilt. If RPMS still go up, then converter could be going bad, front pump could be going bad (but the rear pump would help this out going up hills), and of course the pickup screen could be somewhat clogged.

Going up hills you might shift to LO and see if it still slips. This would tell if it is a lack of pressure from bad front pump, or the screen.

• 7 years later...

Hello, my name is Joey and I am aware the thread is old but I’m in a bind. I’m working on a 1955 Buick special and servicing the Dynaflow transmission. I have searched far and wide and can not find the pickup screen for the life of me and was wondering where I could find one and/or if I could fashion one by myself.