Value of a Camaro......

Mr Buick

I have a friend that has an 87 IRoc under 50k car t-tops loaded and he has been trying to get $3500 out of his for over 3 yrs now. still hasnt sold..people low ball him at $1500 to 2k...I have been told those are not that desirable...but I am not a camaro person...

Something else you might want to keep in mind. Price guides are all well and good, but survivor cars seem to be "hot" right now. If this car is a true IROC, survivor with only 10 grand on the clock, it could very well exceed book value. Just my 2.

Something else you might want to keep in mind. Price guides are all well and good, but survivor cars seem to be "hot" right now. If this car is a true IROC, survivor with only 10 grand on the clock, it could very well exceed book value. Just my 2.

True, but even then, if one is selling a "survivor" one must be prepared to hold on to the car for 6 months or more until the right buyer comes along. People with 20 grand to throw on a car are hard to find.

If its red or black that definitely helps.

Not having any details and making some assumptions I'd say $11k-$14k if advertised nationally. Slightly lower if there are condition or maintenance issues. Slightly higher if its the right color, right options, and absolutley pristine.

Check ebay completed listings.

I love the Youtube!!!!!

I had an 1988 IROC, black, slightly modified, and very clean. I bought it for the looks and performance. It didn't take long to before bored with it and the seat hurt my back. I felt very lucky to sell it.

It might be that GSJohn has found one he likes. If so, spend a few bucks on the 2000 Silverado and wait for a nice Buick.

Bernie

A big Thank you, to those of you helping me out with this.

Here is the story, my brother has an 86 IROC that is essentially new, with 9800 miles. He is the second owner and has fallen on hard times. He lost his job and can't land another one, has a mortage with 3 kids. He asked me if I wanted to buy it.

Knowing that I have been pretty lucky in my life, I said I would. He told me to figure out what it's worth and we can come together on a price.

Me being a Buick guy, I don't know it's value. What I am going to do, (he doesn't know this) is figure a value of about $15k, then I am going to add 15% to that and buy the car for $17,250. That will give him a little extra to go on. I told him though, as a condition of my purchase, he can buy it back when he gets back on his feet, less the 15% of course.

Aside from his wife and kids, that car is his life and I am glad I can help him out and keep it in the family. Again, Thank you guys and have a good day.

Edited by GSJOHN (see edit history)

As a BCA member who was around those cars when they were new, there are TWO IROC-Zs. First, there is the "normal" IROC-Z with rear drum brakes. These cars had normal Z-28 stuff under them and nothing special in the rear axle area, ratio-wise. More for profililng and getting beat by Mustang 5.0L coupes.

The OTHER IROC-Z has rear disc brakes. This got the slightly heavier-duty rear axle and deeper rear axle ratios (what would be expected for a performance car). Somewhere in the mix, there were the IROC-Zs that, if ordered in a particular manner, got the UPGRADE stuff . . . like a fuel tank that would pickup fuel down to about 1 gallon left in road racing situations, an aluminum driveshaft, upgraded front brakes, and a few other things which later were incorporated into normal production Z-28s over the course of a few model years.

And then there were the IROC-Zs (or possibly prior Z-28s) which came with a Recaro-like pair of front seats and unique upholstery.

At the time, they were neat cars, but could be made much neater and much more rare with the right mix of options.

Now, for the information you're wondering about . . .

NADAGuides.com shows a "High Retail" of $7700.00 with "Average Retail" of $4427.00. A normal Z-28 shows "High Retail" of $6902.00.

The very low mileage can bump things up a little past that, but not to the numbers you listed, with all due respect. Still, the low mileage can come back to haunt as rubber under the hood and such has been deteriorating somewhat over the years, just sitting. Same with the tires. So it can be a mixed bag.

There was also a neat radio option back then, too. AM/FM Stereo/AM Stereo/Cassette Tape.

Hope this might help. Seems like there's another online price guide that will figure the mileage factor into the price?

NTX5467

A big Thank you, to those of you helping me out with this.

Here is the story, ...Knowing that I have been pretty lucky in my life, I... am going to ...figure a value of about $15k, then I am going to add 15% to that and buy the car for $17,250. That will give him a little extra to go on...

I told him though, as a condition of my purchase, he can buy it back when he gets back on his feet, less the 15% of course. ...

Aside from his wife and kids, that car is his life ....

Kudo's to you GS John. This is what family shoud be all about. I hope your brother gets back on his feet real soon. He sounds like a good guy also.

John, that is by far the definition of "family" and what it means. A real brother, good for you. Good things happen to good people thats why your lucky. Thanks for sharing.

Guys, Thanks for the kind words, but I am just a guy and I am sure you would do the same thing if needed. I always put others before myself,

I guess that's just the way I am. Thank you again for the help and always

remember, it pays to "pay it forward" Thanks again. John

Wow, what an awesome twist to this thread. When I first read the thread I was really sad for John as to how little value was being placed on the car. Then I read the rest of the story and I was touched at John's generosity. You bump into great people in this hobby and this is just further proof of that.

BTW, I looked at the NADA price guides and I did notice that 'family loan value' of the car was around $17,250. :)

Wow, what an awesome twist to this thread. When I first read the thread I was really sad for John as to how little value was being placed on the car. Then I read the rest of the story and I was touched at John's generosity. You bump into great people in this hobby and this is just further proof of that.

BTW, I looked at the NADA price guides and I did notice that 'family loan value' of the car was around $17,250. :)

LOL Family Loan Value,.....too funny! Thanks!! :D