Front of floor boards

Guest Harry Connors

Guest Harry Connors

As I am getting into the body work on the 48 Continental Coupe I am finding more out that is making my grey hair grayer. I had mentioned in an early post that one of the former owners used creativity in repairing the rocker covers panels under the doors instead of common sense. Well, now that I am replacing the rocker cover panels I am learning new curse words that I am sending his way. The rockers were filled with building foam, then fiberglass used to cover the outside and metallic tape applied on top of that before painting. Sounds good and looks good but water is trapped inside and rots the metal worst until it starts falling apart as it did after I purchased the car. To take the rocker panels off I have to cut it in one foot sections after drilling out the spot welds on the floor panel and the inner U panel of the rocker panel and then use a pry-bar to remove the cut section. It is hard to believe how much holding power that building foam has. Towards the end I started using some acetone, with the garage doors open, into the rocker panels. That helped a lot and makes it easier to clean the crap off of the remaining panels on the car. The front of the floor board on the passengers side has a metal footrest that was welded (not sure if that is original can anyone tell me) onto the firewall and the floorboard. The space under this footrest was filled with foam as well about seven inches thick. The result is that I need to replace the floorboard from the aluminum brace at the front of the door to the firewall. Since there is an open space between the inner panel and the fender here he also filled that with foam. I could duplicate the floorboard panel but I do not know what it should look like as the entire right side is rotten away. So this has been a long-winded way of asking if anyone knows where I can obtain the front part of the right floor panel for a 1948 Lincoln Continental Coupe. New or used. I could try to post a photo or two but it would make you sick to see what someone did to this grand car. Thanks Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks to you both, I will try and see what panels I can find that I can fit, I am running out of time as the Auto Hobby Shop will close as part of the drawl down of forces here the end of March. Tom those floorboards you made look great. At least I have most of mine except near the side panels. Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks for the link to the Classic Fabrication firm but they only ship FedEx and FedEx like UPS cannot deliver to an APO (Army Post Office) only USPS can. I have asked the price to ship to my brother in Tucson, Arizona and then have him mail them to me but I am afraid that the shipping costs are going to be more than the floor panels. Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Folks are the floorboards the same on the 41 to 48 Lincoln Continentals? I am looking at the area from the front door post (with the hinges) forward to the firewall. Thanks Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Anyone? Are the floorboards the same for the 41 to 48 Lincoln Continentals? Need to know as I can get the 41's. Thanks Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks to everyone who has answered the question on the floorboards I have written Paul Bradley to see if I can get a set from him. Thanks again Harry

• 3 months later...
Guest zazothex

Harry, I'm starting with my rockers as well. I have a question: based on the pics above, it looks like your passenger sheet at the firewall is in two layers. I noticed the same on my '47, but thought it was a patch the PO did. You can really see it in pic#0387 where the bottom panel is about flush with the tranny hump mount, with the upper placed on top and is secured to the side following the triangular cutout. Am I seeing this right?

Harry, I'm starting with my rockers as well. I have a question: based on the pics above, it looks like your passenger sheet at the firewall is in two layers. I noticed the same on my '47, but thought it was a patch the PO did. You can really see it in pic#0387 where the bottom panel is about flush with the tranny hump mount, with the upper placed on top and is secured to the side following the triangular cutout. Am I seeing this right?

you are seeing it right. All Continentals are that way. We always thought it was because of the differance in the Zephyr to Continental firewall and dash location. We bought and sold the LC's during the 60's and 70's and had several original Connies and we noticied it when replacing carpets. Lee