1938 Flxible Hearse

Better to ask on Buick - Pre War - AACA Forums

What is the length of the engine head ?

A 320 ci is about 35 inches long. A 248 ci is just under 32 inches long.

If the engine number starts with a 4 its a 40 series Special 248 ci

If the engine number starts with a 6 its a 60 series Century 320 ci

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply,Didn't have engine in it when i bought it.Its just the body and the Front doors and rear door wood was all rotten,I'm trying to find some doors,Have found a 39 hearse but i don't think their going to be the same.Waiting on pictures should get tommorrow or monday.

Thanks for reply,Don't think i'm gonna be able to restore there's too much stuff I'll never be able to find,The side and rear the carvings are missing is the main thing.all I have is the shell of a body no motor trans and it came with late model chevy truck wheels.

Hey Darryll, Found out from Tom Mcpherson thru somebody on NHAA that mine is a 38 Fxlible Classic A Craved side Rear Loader,Bulit on 60 Series (Century) Chassis, One of 21 bulit that year. It was ordered on Jan,7, 1938 and delivered to Johns Service's of Birmingham, AL. on March 5, 1938. Mine has no side doors. Flxible did build the doors but ithink they used Buick vent windows and internal parts Latches and tracks. Could you measure your vent window at the back so i can know how tall it is and from the window track to the rounded part. I'm thinking about buy some doors off a 39 to get the vent windows regulators and tracks. I'm gonna have too figure out how to make the wooden frames back as most of mine was rotten.Thanks for taking time to reply I really appreciate it. Ashley

If you come to the point of purchasing wheels, beware that the wheels have holes for the three locater pins that are most likely on the drums (or you may have to carefully locate and drill them yourself). At least that is the way they were on a 37 Buick Limited I once had.

Perry in Idaho

Possible I have some left over hub caps if interested email me to prs518@live.com. Hirsch also reproduced them, but I do not know if he still has them.

For parts try Dave Tacheny as Links on PreWarBuick - The Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web - PreWarBuick.comArea number is now 763, not 612

The best man on planet Earth for late '30s Buick parts is Dave Tacheny. Believe it! Mail your want list to him at 11949 Oregon Ave. N., Champlin, MN 55316, or call 612-427-3460.
1939 was a new body with bigger windows & new doors Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

does anyone know who owns the restored 38 Buick. I was told that it belongs to a funeral home in Utah but can not find out any more info. I spoke to someone from Tennessee that gave me the state but he knew of nothing else. I late husband is the one that built the car.

• 2 weeks later...