1996 Buick Century Fuel problem

Dandy Dave, I have exactly the same problem with a 1995 Buick Century Custom. Have replaced fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Have checked fuses. Confirmed no activity whatsoever from the fuel pump, and believe it is not getting electricity. Trip to store tomorrow for voltmeter is in order to help continue this.

I have not tried bypassing the ECM/fuel relay fuse, but will after reading your latest post. Haynes book has some schematics in the back but matching that to where wires are run in car is a challenge. Wire colors did help locate which relay was for fuel pump, though.

Did you ever try the oil pressure sending unit, or the crank position sensor? Just wondering if you tried them and it still did not work, or if you did not try them yet.

I, like you, will be working backwards through the wiring. Who wanted to watch the NCAA tournament, anyway?

I tried the oil sending unit. Was not that.

Did not try the Crank position sensor because the car runs. It ran better the second round but no power on the hills, and It looks like the fan does not turn on either. I bet it is all related. Dandy Dave

Oh, I believe that red "in" wire is a fusible link wire, so that may be the culprit. What a great engineer thought up those, instead of actual fuses! I am sure they have a reason, but I would have rather seen a fuse I could change out easily. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking you may well be right as I do not see any of the Big Fuses anywhere. I haven't been back at it for a few days. Maybe later if I get a little time. Dandy Dave!

After more research, I think maybe it is other models of Century that have the fusible link wires. On the 3.1L it appears that the inline fuse is the one mounted next to the relay switches. That fuse is fine on mine.

Jumping the positive battery post to the fuel pump priming connection results in the fuel pump running. I can hear it start and push fuel. It still does not fire.

A GM mechanic told me it sounds like the computer (ECM), so that was replaced. Still no joy. About to give up and take it to the shop. Will post any further developments with mine, in case it helps you out Dave.

The Sweet Smell of Success :D

Today I got me a li'l ol Sunday Afternoon time and after all my deductive reasoning, I guessed that it had to be a faulty wire. So I started at that 15 amp fuse where that red wire was and cut the harness back. ( I procrastinated because I hate doing that! :( ) About the time I was under the AC pump, Sure enough, that red wire pulled apart and revealed a green oxidized section of copper about a half inch long. I've seen this before, but not as a general rule. This can only be because of a poor quality section of wire during the manufacturing proccess. Maybe a drop of water locked in it at that time, or it came in contact with a chemical that eroded it. What ever the cause, I'm the poor ol sucker that ended up with the lemon. Now it is off the fix the rusted brakeline. :cool: Dandy Dave!

My brother in law had a '96 Regal that did the same thing. I never figured it out, but the shop did after 3 hours of fiddling. It had an internally corroded wire under the hood that (I believe) led to the underhood fuse box. It seems like it was for the ignition, but you may want to start in that area.

I win!!! Congrats on fixing it!

• 1 year later...

Did you ever find out why your 1996 buick century was stalling? My son has a 1996 buick century that stalls when he tries to turn. The camshaft sensor and idle control sensor have been replaced. There isn't a code showing. At one time the camshaft sensor code came up.

Yes. It was a faulty wire. I had another problem about 2 weeks ago. From the first go around the 15 amp fuze up near the relays had partly melted without blowing. I had to clean the inside of the fuse holder with a small thin screwdriver. Back to working fine again. Dandy Dave!

Did you ever find out why your 1996 buick century was stalling? My son has a 1996 buick century that stalls when he tries to turn. The camshaft sensor and idle control sensor have been replaced. There isn't a code showing. At one time the camshaft sensor code came up.

Is there a computer sensor in the power steering mechanism on the OBDII system?

• 5 months later...

I had a PM request about this problem recently and thought I would include this info that may help someone else along the way. My problem was a bad wire. The car has been OK since the repair several years ago.

Digging a little deeper. The wire off of the starter lug is Red and changes to orange after the under hood fuse. It is hot at all times. goes to a 15 Amp fuse that is under the hood on the right side near the relays. This feeds port 87 on the Fuel pump relay. The Red wire, Port 87A on the relay, should come on for a few seconds to prime the pump when the key swich is on. Port 30 is a gray wire that goes to the fuel pump. Port 85 is a Dark Green/ white tracer wire that comes from the computer/ PCM. Port 86, black and white wire goes to ground and Ground distubution coil wire. The numbers are marked on the bottom of the relay. Hope this info helps out anyone who needs it. Dandy Dave!