Need Help With Several Problems

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

After several months worth of setbacks and delays, I finally got my 52 started today. Needless to say, there were some problems. As some of you know I've been in the process of cleaning and re-building my oiling system. As a result, I've installed new push rods and new lifters. I pre-adjusted them per the manual and I was told to start the car and let it run around 1500-2000 RPM's for about 10 mins to get the lifters to self-adjust(my car has hydraulic self-adjusting lifters). I did this today and all my lifters adjusted but one of the rockers is NOT moving at all. I kept the car running thinking the lifter would pump up and start the rocker moving but it never moved an inch. I know it's not frozen or too tight because I can give it a little tap with a rubber mallet when the engine is off and it moves. What could be causing it not to move while the engine is running? Bad lifter? Some of these new lifters were a little tight in their bores. Could it be stuck?

Secondly, my carburetor is acting funny. It's making a loud sucking noise and throwing a little gas out of the air horn. I looked down inside while the engine was running and there is gas seeping out of what looks like an indent or small hole in the side wall of the air horn where the horn meets the bowl. It may even be coming from around the gasket. I can't really tell. I tried tightening the air horn and bowl cover bolts but it didn't help. Anybody know why this might be happening? Also, I don't know if this is related, but when I turned the car off there was a steady stream of white mist or fog coming out of my carb. It lasted for quite a while.

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Is the float bowl too full?

Try a larg-dia screw in the side of the float bowl. If you unscrew it while the car isrumming, the gas level should be at or close to that level, even with a bit seeping out. If it comes pouring out, you have flooding condition and need to adjust the floats.

The 2 problems could be related. The carb problem sounds like it may be caused from a stuck open intake valve. The cylinders compression stroke is blowing into the intake manifold and out the carb. Gas will be blown up and out the carb and the "sucking" sound is actually a 'blowing outward' sound. Check the stuck valve and see if it is an intake one then check it's position and see if the valve is in the open position. If it is open than you most likely found both problems.Also don't rule out the you may have a worn out lobe on the cam shaft but lets hope you don't

The 2 problems could be related. The carb problem sounds like it may be caused from a stuck open intake valve. The cylinders compression stroke is blowing into the intake manifold and out the carb. Gas will be blown up and out the carb and the "sucking" sound is actually a 'blowing outward' sound. Check the stuck valve and see if it is an intake one then check it's position and see if the valve is in the open position. If it is open than you most likely found both problems.Also don't rule out the you may have a worn out lobe on the cam shaft but lets hope you don't

Pirate has nailed it!

The 2 problems are linked.

Let us know the outcome after following Pirates advice - and good luck

Guest shadetree77
Is the float bowl too full?

Thanks for the suggestion Douglas. I'll check into that ASAP. I adjusted the floats per the manual specs. when I put in the new needle and seat but maybe I got it wrong?

Check the stuck valve and see if it is an intake
Pirate, I checked and according to the manual this valve is an exhaust. Thanks for the suggestion though. It really made sense and was something I would NEVER have come up with on my own. It certainly did add to my knowledge bank.

I bought new lifters and a couple of them would not pump up
Bill, I think this may be my problem as well. I guess I'll pull everything off the side of the motor and check it out. Probably just clean out and re-build the old lifter and stick it in there just to see if it fixes the problem. The old lifter was working before and the bottom part that contacts the cam looks good. I kept track of what lifter came out of what bore so I could put them back in if I needed to. I can't say I'm "loving" it though.:D Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

I can tell you one thing...10 minutes is probably not long enough. You need to run that thing for 30 minutes to break in those lifters anyway. Mine took what seemed to be forever to pump up when I replaced them. If you have the adjuster turned too far down, oil will shoot out the rocker arm and never make it down the pushrod. While it's running, make sure that oil is not spurting out of the rocker arm that's not moving.

Guest shadetree77

Aaron, I will try running it some more then. I thought 10 or 15 would do it. It just kind of freaked me out when that lifter wasn't moving at all for so long. All of the others ones looked good and quieted down but that one never even moved. It wasn't shooting any oil. Matter of fact, all of the rockers including that one had a healthy and steady stream of oil coming from the holes in the tops. I'll fire it up again tomorrow and run it longer. If it doesn't pump up I guess I'll be taking it out.

Before I fired it up again, I might push down on the offending pushrod to check the resistance of that lifter. Can you push it down easily? If it's already pumped up, then you've got other problems. Hopefully it's just taking awhile to pump up. You may want to try readjusting just that one lifter.

Guest shadetree77

I didn't get time to work on it today and I'm pretty much booked up until sunday. However, when I was out there before, I did push down on the non-moving push rod. It was possible to move it but not by much and you had to put a LOT of pressure on it to get it to move that much. When I work on it next, the first thing I'll do is to re-adjust that lifter just to make sure I didn't mess that one up. Then I'll start the car up and run it for 30 minutes. If it's not moving at the end of all that, I'll take it out and replace it with the re-built original. I'll post on here hopefully sunday night with my findings. Thanks everybody for all the suggestions.

Guest Jim_Edwards

I'm not seeing proper treatment of new hydraulic lifters before installation in this thread. New hydraulic lifters need to be soaked in 30HD oil long enough to fill the internal cavities. If not they may never pump up. I usually let them soak for no less than a couple of hours.

From what I've heard and read, most cam manufacturers recommend NOT soaking them anymore. It probably wouldn't hurt anything. I've had an issue or two with seemingly sticky new lifters. I'm assuming the machining oil gets sticky as they sit on the shelf. In the future, I will probably soak lifters in a cleaning agent if anything, or disassemble them before installation.

Guest shadetree77

I've heard that too Aaron. Some people have told me to soak them and some say not to do that anymore so who knows? Regardless, I DID soak mine for 2 or 3 days in a bath of Marvel Mystery oil before installation.

From what I've heard and read, most cam manufacturers recommend NOT soaking them anymore. It probably wouldn't hurt anything. I've had an issue or two with seemingly sticky new lifters. I'm assuming the machining oil gets sticky as they sit on the shelf. In the future, I will probably soak lifters in a cleaning agent if anything, or disassemble them before installation.

I still not only soak the lifters, I partially pump then up in a can of oil just to demonstrate that they will pump up...better to know about it now than after assembling and running the engine. CAUTION: If you pump them up fully until no movement, install and run the engine right away you may have some valves that hang open for awhile....a nailhead is apparently not an interference engine.:eek:

Willie