1949 Buick Clock and Sonamatic AM Radio

Guest Jerrys 49

Guest Jerrys 49

Anyone out there know how to get a 1949 clock and Sonamatic Am Radio in working order? I noticed on the back of my clock that a prior owner has removed the wire from it's port. Not sure why. I located a lone wire and assumed it was for the clock so I plugged it in.. clock still doesn't work. Fuses are all good on the fuse panel- I replaced them. The light for the clock is working.. all my dash lights work.

As far as the radio goes, the only thing I can think of is perhaps there is a bad tube or tubes since it doesn't even turn on..

I would be happy if I can get the clock and radio to work.

Jerry

1949 Buick Roadmaster 4 Door

JERRY google THE CLOCK WORKS they did a nice job with a garauntee,they clean ,restore the # and hands,lube it,and replace wind parts if need,mine did not need any replacement parts,they could have hooked me if they wanted to,i wouldnt have known what was broke[it didnt work]they charged me about $70.00,it looks fantastic and works great!! they are out of eagle river WI and do antique auto clock restoration. MARK

The clock actually works my means of a wound up mainspring which is wound by a electic motor that gives about a half a revolution. As the clock winds down, a set of breaker point closes, and when the points make contact, the motor gives it's quick half a twist which winds the spring and opens the points shutting the motor down. The process repeats over and over again with each wind lasting for about a minute and a half.

It's easy to open the clock and to clean it out with some electronic cleaner spray. Then dress the points with a points file to clean up the contact surfaces. Lubricate the pivot points with clock oil. If the points are open and the clock isn't ticking, give the wheel that the mainspring attaches to a little push to get is started. You'll see how the points close up a little with every tick as the spring winds down. Let it wind down all the way with the points closed before reassembling and installing. When you go to hook up the electric wire. give it a quick touch to the terminal which will cause the clock to wind up and start running. Then install the wire. There is a regulator screw in the back of the clock which speeds up or slows down the mechanism. And there is also a fine tune regulator on the face of the clock.

Good advice Pete is giving you there.

After reading your other thread regarding your battery, I would add, with a proper working clock battery problems and disconnecting the battery can cause problems for the clock. I remember reading in the shop manual or owners manual instructions for connecting the battery and maintaining proper clock winding.

Guest Jerrys 49

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I am going to buy a new battery today, and hope for the best. I'm just hoping that its just the battery being bad (it doesn't look old) and not a bad generator or a short somewhere.. as far as lights being dim at idle, and getting brighter while accelerating, is that common for 6volt systems?

Not really, Jerry. Shows a voltage drop someplace, due to resistance. When engine is reved, voltage increases to 7/8 volts, causing lights to brighten. Shows generator is working, though.

You really should find an auto electric shop, if you can, and have everything checked out. Even the battery before replacing it. I never replace a battery before having it load tesred.

Ben