Sign in to follow this  
trickrk

53 torque ball seal parts

Ok having a problem.

I installed the new Fatsco torque ball retainer, greassed the retainer and ball with sythetic grease, installed all the shims and tightened by hand with a 3/8 ratchet, I moved the torque ball periodicly while tightening. By the time I get all the bolts tightend the torque ball is so tight that it will not move even with a pipe in the end of the torque ball for leverage.

Do I need more shims? Should I use a different grease?

I can't find any info for a torque ball being to tight, only to loose.

Any suggestions?:confused:

That vulcanized outer torque ball retainer was designed to not use shims. Looking in a 58 Buick book it shows and describes only a gasket where the shims on the previous metal-metal outer torque ball retainer are used. I install mine that way, leave loose until the torque tube is installed then tighten. The rubber on the outer torque ball retainer will take a 'set' after being compressed and will function as designed. When I trailer one of mine I tie down at the lower control arms and the rear axle --- that serves to pull the torque ball back into the outer torque ball retainer and I will have a brief leak until the rubber 'recovers'.

Willie

What are the grease specs to use for the torque ball and retainer? Just a generic ball bearing grease or is there something specific?

I used synthetic bearing grease becauce that is what I had on hand. I think the grease helps with the assembly process. Maybe some one else can say for sure but I think that once in use it will be lubed by the transmission fluid.

Edited by trickrk (see edit history)

Hey there...I'm Aaron...

The seal kit should be the same between your Super and my Special. The seal from Fatsco will go into the torque tube flange around the prop shaft. The one that seals the splines does not come with the kit. I bought mine from Bob's Automobilia, and as mentioned in the article, made up the spring and washers from a used master cylinder rebuild kit (the 5 dollar variety). SP-132 Seal Kit Additionally, you might want to lube the rubber side of the torque ball retainer with some Vaseline or something. I used trans. fluid on mine, and on cold mornings, the first time out of the driveway, it makes a groaning sound as it articulates. It's fine after that.

Hello, Im Luis Garcia, new to this forum.I`m living in Madrid, Spain, and this makes looking for info more difficult.

My car is a 1951 model56C, and I have the problem of the splined shaft seal (Sp132 kit), that I cannot find where to buy it. Can I use the PS463 sold by Bob`s instead?

Could you, please give me some more info on how you did with the master cylinder kit? .Perhaps some photos or drawings?

Thank you