What is it 3/19/02

From: Paul Holland <inspholl@pacbell.net> <BR>To: peterg@aaca.org <BR>Date: 03/19/02 00:35:56 <BR>Subject: Zephyr Bugatti Custom ?? <P><BR>Has anyone there ever heard of a 1937 Zephyr Custom Bugatti? Please let me know. I found one!<P>Thanks,<P>Paul Holland<P> zephyrbugatti.jpg

Paul, Nice find! My guess is that it is a Type 57 Bugatti with a custom body. Are there any coach builders plates on the cowl area or door sills? Is the original twin cam straight eight still there? Are you buying it or selling it? I asked first, so let me have first refusal.

Well , I think I may pick it up. Do you have any idea what it's worth? The drive train is not there (at least not in the car) it has a Mustang engine and trans. I have other pictures also. I'll go back for numbers and a more detailed look today.<BR>How rare is this thing? I'll put you first on the list. Give me a rough idea what you might offer.<BR>Thanks Paul

Paul, You're on your own on this one price wise. Any "one off" is worth what someone will pay for it. If you like it, buy it, just remember you will be looking at for a while, so be sure. Was the bodywork well done, or just a lot of plastic filler? The photo of the rear fin on the deck lid looks nice to me. Is the grill stock or was that modified?

Guest stude8

Good Heavens, breathes there a soul so callous to put a Mustang engine in such a beautiful creation! How low can the mighty fall.<BR>Stude8

What a find! This bears quite a resemblance to the Phantom Corsair one-off built by Heinz. Whether or not to buy (and at what price) depends on what makes you happy. If you're a purist (only happpy with a 100-point car), finding Bugatti parts would be extremely difficult. If this is your goal, I suggest having the driveline located and committed prior to buying the Bugatti. What street rodders typically do is transplant the Mustang II front subframe, so it may not even be feasible to reverse the work that has been done. However, if you would be happy with this car as a street rod, I could see it being worth $20,000 to $30,000 when fully finished.