fusing question

tcslr

Tom if you are still using 6 volt, the electric pump instructions should tell you what they recommend. The Delco 6v solenoid style( similar to Air tex) recommends a 10 amp in line: #14 wire is used. Directional signals, I would believe uses 16 wire, but my 50 Cadillac calls for a 10 amp fuse.

Fuses protect the thinnest gauge wire on the circuit from getting hot enough to cause a fire.

Note that the fuse is not necessarily based on the current rating of the device at the end of the wire. So you are protecting the wire not the device. Keep in mind that the type of wire insulation and length of wire matters as you are trying to keep the wire from getting hot enough to start a fire.

A little google searching will yield the chart of fuse or breaker to wire size.

And Yes many guys are picking fuses by the wrong criteria for use in their cars.

I would disagree a little bit on the purpose of a fuse. Yes, it will keep a wire from burning up but mainly it will also keep the device a wire is connected to from burning up. The fuse should be sized to keep the device from burning up and the wire should be sized based on the fuse size. The wire should be sized to carry a greater current than the fuse.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Electric fuel pump wiring circuits should include a 25-30 amp relay as well as fuse proper for the current draw of the fuel pump.

Yeah, a lot of us have hooked them up with nit-wit wiring schemes just to get passed a no fuel problem. The fact we did it does not make an incorrect job a good idea.