Recently, I had my waynesway e-mail account hacked. It was entirely my fault. It was one of those days when I lost a couple bricks off of my load.<O:p</O:p:o

Keep in mind that Yahoo NEVER asks you to update your account information. Yesterday as I transferred my contact list from my old account to a brand new one I realized just how easy it was to steal a person’s identity. <O:p</O:p:mad:

All they need is your password and zap, he has your contact list and a lot of “new friends” to play with. When I say play with, I mean he sends out e-mails asking for help and money to get back home from some foreign country.

Of course, none of my friends fell for that story. My friends just knew that no one in the US government would ever give me a passport and a chance to leave the country.<O:p</O:p

...Or that I wasn't worth the trouble???:P

This fellow was very devious, as he changed the second “w’’ in my waynesway address to 2 “v”’s. Type it out, it looks very similar. <O:p</O:p

I only realized that I still had a problem when someone forwarded an e-mail to me yesterday with my wrong address (the 2 v's) listed. I had been missing some important e-mails because of this.<O:p</O:p

So my friends, be very vigilant when opening e-mails or when opening new accounts. As you can see, some letters of our alphabet are easy to mess with, and take control of accounts from people like me.:rolleyes:

Wayne<O:p</O:p

Oh, one more thing!

If a sent e-mail is very important to you, make sure you ask your AACA friends to respond back to you. Some people just read the message and assume you do not need a reply.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne, Sorry you had trouble, it's common these days. One other thing I can suggest is that you change your password every so often, I know at my office I have to change it every six months so that's a good reminder for me to change the other ones. Also if you are going to read email or Facebook or whatever from either a public computer or an unsecured nextwork then change your password right away.

Brian

Thanks Brian. The only problem I have with changing passwords is that I forget them. I run a trucking business. In my head at any one time are trucking load rates, mileages, keeping track of where 7 vehicles are in at least 7 different states at a time, phone numbers, and what my wife's name is!????

I have 3 e-mail accounts for different businesses, so multible passwords are a pain.

Someone quick...warp me back to 1950!!!!:D

Wayne

The best advice I've heard on passwords, make up a basic password.

Let's say it's "hadahaveacar"

Now, use that as the basis for all passwords.

AACA? hadahavacarAACA

Ebay? use hadahavacarEB

Facebook? hadahavacarFB

Yahoo? hadahavacarYH

and so forth....that way, you can usually figure out what your password is, and it's not the same for all sites...

Thanks Brian. The only problem I have with changing passwords is that I forget them. I run a trucking business. In my head at any one time are trucking load rates, mileages, keeping track of where 7 vehicles are in at least 7 different states at a time, phone numbers, and what my wife's name is!????

I have 3 e-mail accounts for different businesses, so multible passwords are a pain.

Someone quick...warp me back to 1950!!!!:D

Wayne

Wayne - the most important one to remember of all of these is the wife's name! I'm bringing my stuff to Philly, we'll tattoo it on your hand :D

Dawn