!939 Pitman Arm

Grant Magrath

The coupe's one seems to be slogged out. There was an amazing amount of play in the steering that couldn't be adjusted out. Tie rod ball joints and drag link are all good, but when I took the pitman arm off, it virtually fell off. You should have to use a puller on them! I managed to file the pitman shaft washer out to pull the pitman arm a bit higher up the pitman shaft to hold it tight, which my father said improved it a lot, but now he's saying the play is back. He can't get under the car to check, but I'm picking it's loose again.

Cheers

Grant

Just had a look Danny. The arm is moving on the shaft when you wiggle the steering wheel. But the arm isn't as loose as it was, in other words, you can't move it by hand now. It has the part number 265 007. The splines on the shaft looked a lot better than the splines on the arm.

Cheers

Grant

I am working !!! :D:D Every machine I use has internet :), then add the beauty of being the Boss :P:p The LHD Vs RHD from what I can see by the part numbers should not be a problem. In this case they are the same although there are plenty that are LHD vs RHD. I'm hopeing someone will confirm that.:o

Danny

Well I'm with you Grant. I just went through the couple I had spare and Voilà !! 265007 The arm on my car is the same.

You are welcome to this if you want it. It has a good set of splines. Just PM me your address.

Danny

post-37069-143138803469_thumb.jpg

Well, here's another one. This is a sector shaft for LHD. Picked it up years ago as it had a perfect wheel on it. Note the cast number is 263279 but the parts book says 263278. I think Al has crunched it with casting number as opposed to part number.

Here endeth my Buick lesson for the day :)

Danny

post-37069-143138803476_thumb.jpg

.. Owen Crequer here in Chch has lent us a good onet
I thought Owen would be a source

Think they bought a load of 39 parts from Cambridge (?) some years ago.

I phoned the seller up 15 minutes later, but too late !

(Owen does read the forum)

So, the new pitman arm is on, the steering box is adjusted up, and the old boy is very happy! Thanks once again to the awesome Owen Crequer for his help! Can't believe the wear on the the old pitman arm. Damn! Just a little bit of brake adjustment, and she's good for summer. Then it's time to pull the gearbox and rebuild.

Cheers

Grant

Archived