Ben's 1950 Buicks

The Special I refurbished. Rebuilt the Engine. Except for interior and paint, all work was done by myself with welding help from a son.

The Special was then driven to Ames in July 2010. Then driven to Salado, Tx in April 2011 to the Buick and BlueBonnets show. And the good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise , I will drive it to Concord I June.

The Super is almost as found . Very driveable as is. But I am not brave enough to drive it any distance, although I did drive it home tp MO from San Antonio, TX.

So, John D, I guess if you are to see the Super, you will have to come visit me! Just say the word, and we will put on a pot of beans and a pan of corn bread.

Ben

post-59466-143138801966_thumb.jpg

post-59466-143138801971_thumb.jpg

post-59466-143138801981_thumb.jpg

post-59466-143138801989_thumb.jpg

post-59466-143138801999_thumb.jpg

post-59466-143138802007_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

LOL, I can only wish I still had the convert! It went away in 1957.

The differences in the two I now have are difficult to see until one knows what to look for. The main difference that matters is size. The Super [ green] is longer wheel base. Inside, this extra length is in the back seat leg room. The rear seat back has a fold down arm rest. It also has a one piece windshield, versus the last two piece one on the Special. The Super engine is a 263ci versus the 248ci of the Special. There is more stainless trim on the Super around the windows. The inside light comes on when any door is opened, instead of front only as in the Special.

If I had found the Super first , it would have been the showcase car. Both cars are standard transmission cars.

Ben

Guest shadetree77

Those are certainly some beautiful Buicks Ben. Love that sun visor on the Special. I've been looking for one for my 52 but they are HARD TO FIND for a one piece windshield.

• 5 weeks later...

Nice Ben. Like the effort you put into the engine bay.

Gosh I like 1950 Buick front grills. That and the 1953's too. I mean is it me or you just never see a rusted up 50 grill/bumper and absolutely never see a less than great looking 53 front grill/bumper. The rest of the car can be complete %^3$ but the front bumpers, never. I mean what did Buick do for those two years. Take a 55-57 and the bumpers seem to be rusty or dented. Never see that on the 53! :D

Ben, those are some fine looking 50's! That is interesting about the longer wheelbase on the Super than the Special. Is the road width the same on both vehicles? Or are they like the 57's where the Special / Century is about 2" narrower than the Super / Roadmaster? Which one has a better ride? Can you notice the difference between driving the two?

I am looking forward to meeting you at Concord this summer for sure!

• 6 years later...

Ben, the super sure looks a lot like my dads 1950 Cadillac, may be the same body. Are the small windows behind the rear doors fixed? The small windows on dads Cadillac are actually vent windows that open. I remember making several trips from California to Oklahoma in the 50s with a swamp cooler in the front passenger door window. The Cadillac is stored inside in Oklahoma , has been resting on blocks since the early `70s, swamp cooler is in the trunk.  Tom

• Like 1

• 4 months later...