new air filter

Guest Huppnut

Guest Huppnut

Well as this car didn't have one I had to come up with something....what I did I made an adapter that went from 1 3/4" to 2". It's a press fit into the mouth of the carb, with a bit of locktight it won't wiggle loose.....simple but works. The filter I had left over from another project. I also made a T fitting that would house my temp probe for the temp gauge, it's mounted in the upper radiator hose. Also I installed an electric fuel cut off valve, below vacuum tank, I can now turn it off from the dash....

post-78496-143138801928_thumb.jpg

Edited by Huppnut (see edit history)

This looks like a good setup for air filter, valve and temp gauge.

The original air filter on my Hupp doesnt seem that it would filter much dirt out.

My"airfilter" has what looks like a tin can with fins cut into the end and nothing inside. Is there something supposed to be inside this tin can or are the fins the intended method for keeping dirt out?

John

Guest Huppnut
Is there something supposed to be inside this tin can or are the fins the intended method for keeping dirt out?

John

That I don't know, mine didn't have an air cleaner when I bought it. I've seen a picture of a Stromberg OE-1 which is what I have on ebay and it had an air cleaner similar to what you described but I don't know whats inside.

Your new air filter & shutoff look good. To answer the question of what the original engine silencer, as they were called by some car company's in the earlydays. This is a pic of the 1 that your Hupp would have come from the factory with. It has no filter on the inside. It has a series of fins that break-up the air flow to the carb. It does quiet the engine, but not much.

post-60296-143138810591_thumb.jpg

post-60296-143138810597_thumb.jpg

post-60296-143138810604_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hupp36 (see edit history)