Packard headliner

Does anyone have experience making and installing a 733 2-4 coupe headliner as originally done? Specifically, how it was suspended and where, how the square 1/2 round rib was installed, was the dome-light tight to the framing? I have no pattern(would love to rent one if possible). Any tips would be greatly appreciated before I dive in with hundreds of dollars in beautiful wool. Pics of a project in progress would be great. Thanks, Mark-mdlbandc@comcast.net

While I have installed many headliners, I have not installed one on a 7th series car. I can tell you that

wool would probably not have been used because of its weight. Most headliners would have been brushed cotton. It is much lighter and would not have sagged as much as wool. Hope this helps. Regards, John

That's correct, the headliner is not the same material as the seats or side panels, it's lighter. If you use the heavier material it will sag. Also, most headliners were lighter in color than seat fabric.

Typical replacement is to sew a seam, with material added, to tack to wood strips across the top of the car.

A lot of the more expensive cars used a "hidden" stitch. This is done with a sewing machine that's more commonly used to hem trousers. A curved needle goes only half or two-thirds of the way through the fabric from the back side, and thus you end up with a smooth surface for the visible headliner.

I actually did this method on a Pierce coupe, but it's very tricky, if not adjust correctly it won't grab enough of fabric, and the fabric has to have a good weave to conceal the stitch.

Mark,

Check here. Classic car headliners, bowstyle (sewn panel) headliners for antique cars.

You will see my coupe picture under the 1930 to 1934 Packard 2 door Coupe replacement headliner area. I had asked for quotes about a year or so ago and they used my car for the measurements and picture to add to their site.

I can't vouch for their work because I am not ready to purchase it yet.