more Wildcat questions

Guest kiwi56r

Guest kiwi56r

Got my Wildcat running gear home now and in the garage and I have some questions. First the rear axle,is it uniuqe to Buick or does it share parts with other GM rears? I'm wanting to put a Posi in it and maybe change the ratio depending on what it is. Next the trans, its should be a ST400, how do I confirm this? Also are the internals on the trans uniuqe to buick or the same as chevy TH 350/400?

Thanks, Chris

Guest kiwi56r

Hmm good point its from a 65. I had a couple of previous threads about the the engine so was assuming people would know from those. I know ass of u and me :o

the tranny is a 400 switch pitch trans

the rear end is buick wildcat and electra only, the center section fits other years

but the rear end is 65 and 66

the tranny will fit only nailhead motors as well, because of the bell housing

i have several of these on the shelf as well as several motors because i too have a 65 wildcat

Greg

Guest kiwi56r

Thanks Greg, are the trans internals the same as the GM th350/400? With the rear end does it share the pumkin and/or internals with any gm rears like the 12 and 10 bolt? The 66 electra I had years ago had a tin cover on the rear and is visually quite different to the one I just got as its a removeable head/third member/pumkin style.

the 66 might have had the newer rear in it, but i had a few with the drop out in here,

the internals are not the same, but the bands, clutches and bells might be

there are rebuild kits for these trannys so you don't have to even think about swaping parts from one to the other type

also these trannys for cores are avalible as well

i have eight trannys in all on the shelf in the garage for 65 year

when i looked yesterday

yeah i know

why

just because i can i guess ; - )

Greg

Guest kiwi56r

Wow 8 trannies, I was looking around for tranny rebuild kits and they seem to be the same as the TH400 kits and but just wanted to confirm this. Also any ideas where I might get a posi unit and lower ratio for the rear end?