Should I use my inner tubes

Guest bills48

Guest bills48

I have a 1948 chevy fleetline that belongs to a close friend. We purchased new tires for the orig wheels. They say they are tubeless tires and they did mount and seal properly. Is it safe to run without tubes on these wheels. I also am looking for a chrome trim clip for the drivers rear window. Any help will be very nice,:confused: thanks. You can also call me @ 309-338-5703

Guest Jim_Edwards

Tubeless tires were never intended to be used with tubes. In fact they become no less dangerous and unreliable than non tubeless tires with tubes. Tubes will often suddenly blow out if punctured whereas a tubeless tire is much less subject to a sudden blowout. All of which is to say, leave the tubes out!

It's not the tires that would be dangerous. Its the wheels! If your wheel is not intended to be tubeless it still may hold air, but the lip will not not lock onto the bead properly without tubes. In a sharp turn or evasive action you can roll the tire off the bead and POOF! blowout (especially if the tire is low on air). There are radial tubes designed for radial tires. Use radial tubes and be safe.

Before you put tubes inside tires, be sure to get the paper tags off of the inside of the tires. Abraision of the squirming tire against the tube will wear the tag through the tube and create a flat within a hundred miles or so.

I had this happen to 3 out of 4 new tires and tubes within 100 miles. I replaced my 1954 Caddy's original chrome ElDorado Spoke wheels with aftermarket copies which were sealed to allow the tires to be mounted tubeless -- no more problems with a few thousand miles of touring.

post-54863-143138801831_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138801834_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I had the same problem as Marty, had to scrape off a tiny yellow rectangle that was on the inside of each tire, it was so thin I couldn't feel it with my fingernail. 8000 miles later no flats. I have put radials on other Chrysler products without tubes and had a problem with valve stems not sealing in the wheel because of the shape of the hole. I corrected some problems with valve stems that are secured with a nut and have metal backing plates others have radial tubes. We put close to 30,000 miles between four cars and haven't had any problems, knock on wood!

The bias ply wide whites that are on our 50 New Yorker are shot after 8000 miles and it is going to get Radials, I put the wheels and tires from our 48 New Yorker (radials) on the 50 just to try them, big difference in ride and handling.

Jay

If you run tubes in radials you have to be sure you use tubes intended for radials. A friend had 3 flats in less than 100 miles running regular tubes in radial tires.

Never, ever use a tube LARGER than the tire size. It will fold and develop a leak virtually 100% of the time. It is perfectly OK to use a tube SMALLER than the tire size. I hated every minute I spent in Dad's tire and recapping shop (back when kids were actually expected to work over the Summer) but some of what I learned there has been useful over the years.