1939 buick rebuild in Wisconsin

Hi here are some pics of my Buick. We started on 11-26-11 and hopeing to have the road buy May and if anyone could tell me about my font bumper that would be great i have yet to find another one like it online in any pic I have found thanks for looking

post-82070-143138795802_thumb.jpg

post-82070-14313879583_thumb.jpg

post-82070-143138795859_thumb.jpg

post-82070-143138795888_thumb.jpg

post-82070-143138795916_thumb.jpg

G'day Jamie,

Your first pic shows the car reasonably complete. In Billy's thread you were looking for a radiator support. It's what holds all the sheet metal of the front clip together and then locates and secures the clip on to the chassis. Just curious, what was holding it all together for the pic :confused::confused:

Danny

That is a good question it was held on with the hood and then on the fenders im missing the bottom ushape for the rad support on the bottom i have no idea hoe the nose cone is mounted on the rad support its hard to explan i just know i dont have the rad support for the car the car is a barn find so someone else took motor and tranny and seats out so it was just a rolling shell and motor parts in the trunk but no rad support i hope this helps

Is the chassis a short or long type ?? The early '39s chassis stopped at the rear springs and the long chassis goes to the end of the car as usual.

This bloke gets recommended for parts quite a bit and seems to be the man to go to for late '30s parts.

Dave Tacheny

11949 Oregon Ave. N., Champlin, MN 55316, or call 763-427-3460.

He advertises here :

Links on PreWarBuick - The Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web - PreWarBuick.com

Give him a buzz and try him for the radiator support.

Danny

Your large front bumper guard assembly in an aftermarket unit from the period. The two small, stock '39 Buick bumper guards have been moved outward and installed in bumper holes that were normally occupied by a capped bolt that attached the bumper to one of the bumper braces. John

Your large front bumper guard assembly in an aftermarket unit from the period. The two small, stock '39 Buick bumper guards have been moved outward and installed in bumper holes that were normally occupied by a capped bolt that attached the bumper to one of the bumper braces. John
Look at the images in this thread: http://forums.aaca.org/f163/time-warp-buick-guy-320104.html
Hi here are some pics of my Buick. We started on 11-26-11 and hopeing to have the road buy May and if anyone could tell me about my font bumper that would be great i have yet to find another one like it online in any pic I have found thanks for looking

The grille guard shown in your picture is indeed a factory accessory, available back in the day, contrary to the one shown in the picture by the poster, who said it was aftermarket, the one in his photo is aftermarket and different than the one on your bumper, (read rare, and worth replating to protect an expensive

dicast grille and add valuble eye candy to the front of your Buick streetrod). If nothing else offer it for sale and see the response. Just sayin'. I try not to answer if I'm not sure. I'm having no trouble with this one! PS second the reccomend on Dave T. 15-20 '39-'41 parts cars and cars for sale on a given day. yes he has '39s I share car storage space. Just there the other day.

Edited by Guest
add info (see edit history)

I also wanted to mention that rechoming the guards was approx 80.oo each. The bid was high for rechrome on the horizontal bars too, so I started researching doing them in polished stainless steel. A friend suggested a company called Aero Fab here in Mpls and they lazer cut two sets(14 pieces total) for each of the grille guards I have('39,like yours and a shorter one for my '40) for 240.oo,Includes the stainless steel material! All I have to do is ease the sharp edges with a sander and polish the stainless, no more rechroming ever! Bonus, if someone taps the front when parking by your car or whatever, I go have more lazer cut and polish parts done instead of trying to get steel parts rechromed after striaghtening recutting ETC. And no broken, expensive dicast grille! Good luck with your project. Nice to see someone else from the bannana belt part of the country doing a Buick besides me in Minnasnowda...PS they wanted 110.oo per horizontal bar to rechrome.

Edited by Guest
speeling (see edit history)

I have not looked in to recromeing i was thinking of powder coating. Im going to keep my options open for my idea for the car im not going back to show room im going more for a hotrod with it. I thank you for the info

Ps 2carb40 thanks for the recomendation on Dave i have been in contact with hom about a core support and i mailed if the money the other day to get the part from him. Dave seams like a very nice to deal with he was helpfull on the phone so i would tell everyone to ask hkm first if they need parts. Thanks again

Edited by lunchbox_xx (see edit history)

Well Danny its up on you tube lol i got the front end off saturday then party to much the jack last night so i got the rear fenders off and myad took off all the trim hope the video is ok its a little shacky bit it was with my phone lol

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Well it is that time of the year again. I didnt get my build done by last spring like i was hopeing. Im hoping for a nice long cold winter to get more done on my build this winter. Please dont for get to look at you tube under lunchbox72 for some of the build so far and more to come.

Jamie

Thanks Grant the vids are not my best work but not much to do here is wisconsin but drink and fix stuff and.act like kids. Well if u want to see more vids on the 39 build check out my friends you tube chanel at Chevahulic he has more vids and better camera work and then u will see my other hearses and the wifes 56 red ford my buddy matt does alot of the work i just get parts and beer for him. So im hope to get alot done this winter. I hope all is good with u and your family.

Talk to u later

Jamie

Question for everyone i have the 39 rearend out and not sure if i should try to sell it or junk it and what i should ask for it in price and i remaber someing about the ratio in the rear end that one is worth more then the other any help would be great

Thanks

Jamie

39 are a 1 year only diff. Does not fit other years. Sell it or give it to another '39 team member.

Not a lot weight so not worth much $$ as scrap

Take the back cover off and count the number of teeth on pinion & crown wheel.

It may have the ratio stamped on the housing

Edit:

Part No__Part No__Description_________teeth___ ratio

__Ring___Pinion

1303405 1310355 Gear set, ring & pinion - 39 : 10 - 3.900

1299444 1315025 Gear set, ring & pinion - 44 : 10 -4.400

1303395 1310354 Gear set, ring & pinion - 40 : 9 - 4.444

39:10 with ratio 3.90 have value

The brake drums may value depending on condition

Buick stopped made these parts 73 years ago, so throwing out is a loss to other '39 owners

They do no make them now

Edited by 1939_buick
Ratio added (see edit history)