A "Pluggers" for those of us old enough to remember this.

Shop Rat

The next ?? will be "what are green stamps?"

I remember Christmas LPs, sets of dishes, glassware, antenna balls, Gulf No-Nox horseshoes, all kinds of giveaway stuff. They had the gimme stuff and still made money and did good clean business.

Now NO gas company offers premiums or giveaways to attract business. Closest thing I know is Sheetz with their "Sheetz Card", which will knock 3 cents off a gallon of fuel if you remember to swipe the card before you pump your fuel.

Several weeks back a Saturday night auction I often go to had some NOS Gulf No-Nox horseshoes, still in their cellophane bags. Trouble was, they were made of flimsy plastic and after all these years were not in very good shape. If there had been one good set in them, I'd have bought the lot of 20.

The Pure Oil/Union 76 station around home gave away antenna balls- bright fluorescent orange and very visible. My Mama thought that was a great idea and had me put one on the antenna of her Oldsmobile, thinking it would make the car easy to find when she came out of a store.

She went to K-Mart and when she came out half the cars in the parking lot had those bright orange antenna balls! She said it would have been easier to find the car without the ball.

We are still using glasses we got from a local station every time we filled up. Have so many we stored away the surplus to replace the ones we break. Going to seem strange when we finally run out and have to buy glasses.

Remember when rotating the air in your tires was FREE?:D

I rotate the air in my tires every time the car moves. :)

I also usually check the air pressure in the tires of the old car every time I take it out (some of the tubes I have on it now lose a couple of pounds per week).

REgarding the Gulf Horseshoes ... there are several Gulf NoNox gasoline ads on YouTUBE, even one where two guys did their own version.

Sperry & Hutchinson Green Stamps were the premium savings stamps back then. We got them, put them in books, and then redeemed them. They were almost as important as real money, in some respects, in helping early middle class families buy things which local stores didn't have. It was a big deal to go to the Green Stamp Store, not unlike some of the earlier discount houses, like Service Merchandise in the 1980s, later on. Having a current Green Stamp Catalog was almost as important as having a Sears & Roebuck or Montgomery Wards catalog in the same time frame.

Gas wars??? I remember when Gultane was something like 13 cents/gallon. In a three block span of US80, there was 2 Exxons (one on each side of the street), 1 Gulf, 1 Mobil, 1 Texaco, 1 Phillips 66, a nicer motel with a coffee shop and swimming pool, a Western Auto store, a flower shop . . . then west of the P66 station, a Safeway store, the Lincoln-Mercury dealer, and the Chrysler-DeSoto-Imperial dealer. US80 was the main drag, back then.

As for the Pluggers deal, the Gulf station used to have small vacuum cleaners hanging on the poles out in the pump island. While one attendant did the gas and cleaned the windshield, another one would offer to vacuum the floorboard . . . expertly getting the bulk of any dirt without the passengers having to get out or anything. Such a deal!!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I believe they were called S&H green stamps, but does anyone remember Plaid stamps? and did stations offer them?

I do remember the Plaid Stamps. For some reason I think grocery stores gave them out. We didn't get as many of those as we did the S & H Green Stamps. One of my jobs when I was a kid was putting the stamps into the books. :)

I too was in charge of the S&H Green Stamps books as a child.

It looks like S&H Green Stamps are still worth something. A quick web search found this:

I have some books of Green Stamps. Are they worth anything?

Yes, Green Stamps are certainly worth something… You can exchange them for cash, or trade them in for S&H greenpoints. If you are choosing gift cards from our current reward selection, keep in mind that we convert Green Stamps to greenpoints using a one to one ratio. So, if you have Green Stamps that say 1, 10, or 50, they will be converted to 1, 10, or 50 greenpoints. Just mail your stamps (we do not accept stamps dropped off at this physical address) and order information via insured mail to:

S&H Solutions

ATTN: Green Stamps Processing Department

1625 South Congress Avenue, Suite 200

Delray Beach, FL 33445

And... The Plaid Stamps were from A&P.

1963 - With its new Plaid Stamps redemption program, A&P brings back the premium concept. With every purchase, shoppers receive plaid-colored stamps, which can be later redeemed for popular household items such as snack trays and Lazy Susans.

The nuns at our church bought a brand new 1961 Plymouth station wagon with S&H green stamps donated by the parishoners. I can't remember exactly how many books it took, but it was a lot! A deal was made with the redemption center before the promotion, and the center even agreed to accept plaid stamps and PC's which were premium certificates then offered by a local grocery store chain. I was 13 years old at the time and I can still remember that Blue wagon full of nuns.

Along with S&H Green stamps, we had Gold Bond stamps. Same kind of deal as S&H Green stamps.

I remember a Mobil station giving away free Hot Wheels with every tank.

I recall digging through a big box of them to find the cars I wanted.

My Father knew better than to gas up the cars without me in tow. :D

And of course, there was that whole Brady Bunch episode with green stamps where the girls wanted a sewing machine, and the boys wanted a tent (I think). They ended up with a new color TV (to watch the Brady Bunch on I suppose) to make the whole family happy.

I wonder if anyone watching that rerun now has any clue what it is all about.

Along with the S & H stamps, I recall there were also Blue Chip stamps that worked along the same concept that the green stamps did. There were two denominations that I seem to remember that were given out with purchases. A "1" and a "5" with the latter being a larger sized stamp. A page in the savings booklet would need to be completely filled with the "1's" or a page could be completed by only applying a strip of the "5's" along the edge of a page.

I did a quick search of the web about S & H and Blue Chip and it seems they were still around well into the 80's or at least the green stamps were. I personally lost track/interest in them back in the 70's.

I remember Texaco having these really neat large tanker truck toys in the 60's. I had one that I wish I still had today.

One word......, maps.

They died off long after the stamps, horseshoes. antenna balls, etc.

BTW, my mother still cooks with some of the kitchenware I remember her buying with Plaid Stamps.

=====================

But then again, today's fuel is more strictly controlled than before, and vastly more consistent between outlets/brands than it used to be. I can't remember the last load of "bad" gas I bought, or the last time it smelled of paint thinner (a cheap additive to make a higher octane fuel where off-spec thinner was available).

Also being able to pay at the pump with a single VISA/MC instead of hauling around 10-15 "gas cards" (remember them?) is a major improvement as well.

Susan,

When you mentioned it was your job (mine too) to put the stamps in the book, I could taste those stamps! Yuk. But thanks for the memory.

Dwight

Mom was nice enough to put a piece of sponge in a shallow bowl with some water so that I could just press the stamps against it rather than have to lick them. :rolleyes::D

Guest mercman86

The only things I remember the gas stations giving away were cassettes or 8tracks of "todays hits" when you filled up on a certain week when the promotion was going on. I grew up in the post freindly service station days......