Shipwrecked 1927 Chryslers

61polara

On November 30, 1926 the "City of Bangor" grounded in a major storm on the tip of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in Lake Superior. She was carring a shipment of 248 new Chryslers from Detroit to Duluth. The winds blew her sideways into the coast. In the storm, several Chryslers blew off deck, but most were safe in the hold. The ship was covered in ice. It took until February 1927 to chop throught the ice and drive the over 200 remaining Chryslers off the ship over an ice ramp to land. The cars were driven single file to Calumet, MI and later sold in the open market.

post-50475-143138792316_thumb.jpg

post-50475-143138792318_thumb.jpg

post-50475-14313879232_thumb.jpg

post-50475-143138792323_thumb.jpg

Thanks 61polara for posting the City of Bangor shipwreck,

one of the fascinating stories of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

One of the survivng '27 Chryslers from that wreck is on

display at the Keewenaw History Museum, on the

grounds of the Eagle Harbor Light Station.

Eagle_harbor_bgr1.jpg

Eagle_harbor_1051.jpg

Both photos by Keith W. Churill

The original 1851 lighthouse was replaced in 1871, has been updated

through the years, and still serves as a Coast Guard Light Station.

Definitely worth a stop on any Great Lakes tour!

TG

The article actually says, "The museum has a large exhibit detailing the wreck of the S.S. Bangor and the rescue of Chrysler cars similar to this one." This Chrysler may not be one of the actual survivors of the wreck. The headlights have been changed to non-originals.

Local residents said that Chryslers kept on washing up on shore over the next few months and ran and drove perfectly! The Keewenaw History Museum car is one of those from the shipwreck although the Museum's caption is misleading. Many of the cars were sold locally and others apparently shipped back to Detroit.

Local residents said that Chryslers kept on washing up on shore over the next few months and ran and drove perfectly! The Keewenaw History Museum car is one of those from the shipwreck although the Museum's caption is misleading. Many of the cars were sold locally and others apparently shipped back to Detroit.

I really have a hard time believing that a car would...#1...wash up on shore and #2...run perfectly being under water for any length of time. I can believe that PARTS from the cars may have washed up on shore, but a whole car??? Doubtful. I guess that does not mean it did not happen, though.

Guest Rob McDonald

An awesome story and well-documented. It includes at least one Tall Tale, which is bound to spring up around such an exciting event in an otherwise quiet corner of the world. I'll take one of those coupes, please.

Guest bofusmosby

Since I deal with shipwrecks, and their cargo, I'm sorry, but there is no way that they would have "washed ashore". It just don't happen. Now, maybe when the ice melted, the cars were exposed, which I believe would be a realistic possibility.

The part about the cars that washed ashore and driven away is why they call it folklore. Other sites indicate that

parts of the cars showed up on beaches during the spring and summer after the shipwreck; much more believable.

Chalk it up to a few too many shots at the local bar, or staying a little too long in the sauna.

Both are favorite (and prerequisite) U.P. pastimes.

:rolleyes:

TG

• 1 year later...
Guest My27ChryslerModel50

I just came across this,, I have the exact car that I'm restoring and going to be painting it in the fall... One of the question I had was the horizontal belt line in the back of the car painted black?... That 3nd photo of a car being flat bedded by horses confirms that all the belt lines are black both vertical and horizontal .. Any input?..

Edited by My27ChryslerModel50 (see edit history)