My 1950 Olds 88 has the original 303 with no oil filter. I can only assume that was an option in those days. I know I can buy an adapter to use a modern, spin-on filter but my understanding is that I minimally need the piece that bolts to the block. Current I only have a block off plate.

Does anyone know where I can either find the correct adapter to fit my engine or if the oil filter parts from a later year Olds small block would fit. (ie. 394, 371, 324..). I assume if the adapter for a 394 would fit than spin on filters are most likely still available.

In the end I would like to get my oil filtered with a modern spin-on filter and not the original messy cartridge system.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the AC/Delco PF-24 filters work on a 394 V-8; that's what I use on my '62 Dynamic 88 wagon. They originally had the PF-7 filters, which were same circumference but a "longer" filter; these can still be obtained but at a $20 and up price tag. Being a stickler for as much originality as I can be, I put those on the '62 Starfire.

In the end I would like to get my oil filtered with a modern spin-on filter and not the original messy cartridge system.

Actually the cartridge system is better and less messy....they have a drain plug on the housing. No hot oil coming down on your hand while you spin it off like a spin on type.

D.