Anybody have Pictures of a 1950 Buick 56R Interior

James B. White

Try sending a PM to this forum member Michaelmis ( just look at his profile and you should be able to contact him ).

He was active until September last and had a low mileage ( like 40000 original miles or something similar ) 1950 56R and had his own web site with all the photos you would need. I tried the link but it seems to be offline now.

I do know he sold the car last year but will still have great photos etc or can put you in touch with the new owner.

Have added a couple of photos of his car and interior I had on file - not much help but if you contact him he will have heaps more.

post-31244-143138797213_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138797214_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138797217_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback
add photos (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I do not have this car any longer. Or the web site.

The link below has some photos that I took when I sold the car. I used these to indicate problems with the condition of the car. i will add to this album as I find images that I think may be of use.

Send me a message if you would like me to send on higher resolution images as the web site scales them down to save space.

I have fabric that I had milled here in Australia to match the original. It is 100% wool 64" wide. I am able to send you a sample if you contact me.

Cheers Michael

http://forums.aaca.org/members/michaelmis/albums/1950-56r/

Edited by michaelmis (see edit history)

Happy to sell you enough fabric to cover your car. I don't expect anyone to buy the lot.

If you are interested I will send you a sample, and get a price to ship enough to cover your car.

I do want to sell a very large collection of Buick 1950 books and accessories. I am in the process of trying to price them now/possibly put them on EBAY.

If you are interested in the showroom album, I have had the album professionally preserved/stabilised (I have receipts and description of the work carried out $350.00). My asking price would reflect the initial purchase price, plus the preservation.

Possibly this forum might be a good place to ask other Buick collectors what they think these albums are worth. Are there other books you are looking for?

http://forums.aaca.org/members/michaelmis/albums/1950-56r/

Edited by michaelmis
http://forums.aaca.org/members/michaelmis/albums/1950-56r/ (see edit history)

:) I'm definitely interested in enough fabric. I DO NOT need you to send a

sample of the fabric. You may find some others on this forum who need the

fabric also. The showroom album is out of my price league right now, as I'm

only working 20 hours a week at LOWE'S where I'm a permanent part-timer.

Just let me know what the total cost would be for everything, then I can see

how fast I can get the money together. May be after tax refund.

The seats in a 1950 Buick rolled off the assembly line without enough tempered spring ribbing. The seats began to slump as the owners drove them out of the showroom. Along with the leaking Dynaflow!

I have owned two of these cars, one with 150K+ miles and one 16K+ miles and they both had same problem with the seats.

The service bulletin for the car points out this problem and offers the solution of adding additional ribbing/springs. That was the solution in 1950 and still is today. (Unless you do what I did in my 150K car and sit on a cushion) http://forums.aaca.org/members/michaelmis/albums/1950-56r/7857-problem.jpg

Adding springs is easy enough to do if you are recovering the seats.

If the covering is good this can also be done by taking the seats out of the car and adding the ribbing from the underside. From memory this is only a matter of undoing 6 bolts at the front. The back seats have no bolts just clip in and out.

My point here is that if you are recovering the seats on a 1950 Buick you have some important work to do on the springs before the final fabric is applied.

The final step is not unlike fitting a set of aftermarket seat covers to the car. Though different to fitting aftermarket covers in that the final fabric is secured using upholstery clips. (or staples for a wood frame seat)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/29Hupp/seat9.jpg

The stiching for the 1950 fabric covers is not complicated but has a number of long straight runs and is best done by an experienced machinist.

In summary: During a restoration, the seats can be 90% finished and fitted in the car without the final fabric covering fitted.

Edited by michaelmis (see edit history)