25 inch wooden wheels

Guest Bill Miller

Guest Bill Miller

Does anybody know of any 25" wood spoke wheels available for a pre-WW1 DB? Or even just the felloe bands that go around the wheel? I know Coker can make the bands and there are several people who can do the wheels but I would like to see if anyone has old originals. I would need two wheels and felloe bands.

Thanks, Bill

Guest Bill Miller

Hi Bill,

Thanks for posting the photos. Your '24 DB has different wheel spokes and the wheels are 24 inches in diameter. I have a 1915 DB which is supposed to have 25" wheels. I have the correct wheels on the front but I am running incorrect (later model) 24" wheels on the rear because the previous owner couldn't locate 2 more 25's. I need 2 25" felloe bands but your's just isn't big enough. When I finish getting the 2 rear wheels done on my car I will have 2 leftover 24 inch wooden wheels and felloe bands (without the hubs since I'll be re-using them) and I'll likely post them here if anyone can use them. Thanks for responding. By the way, did you have a wheelwright build the wheels for you? If so, who did you use? I was thinking of Bill Calimer in PA but there are several Amish guys around whose work I've seen also. I just looked at the photos you've posted of your sedan and the wheels look just great. Nice car and I hope to see it at a future DB Club event.

Bill Miller

Edited by Bill Miller (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
Guest Mchisom

These are the wheels I spoke about earlier. Not having ever dealt with these before, I'm not sure I measured them correctly. Take a look and see if these are what you were looking for.

post-84958-143138938837_thumb.jpg

post-84958-143138938843_thumb.jpg

Guest Bill Miller

Hi Mchisom,

Thanks for posting the photos. Those wheels actually appear to be 21 or 22 inch and are not the right pattern for the 1915 Dodge I'm going to use them on. But thanks for the input.

Bill

Guest Mchisom

I wasn't sure exactly where to measure to get the correct size. If you could tell me where to find information on identifying these and others I have it would surely be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Guest Honolulu Dick

With reference to comment #3, this thread, the use of Bill Calimer is highly recommended.

He has made two replacement wooden wheels for the Honolulu Lulu, a 1917 touring, running with 25-inch, wooden felloe wheels. Steaming the felloes, bending them and allowing them to season in a bending jig to retain their strength and shape, takes months. Shipping from and to Hawaii added greatly to the bottom line. However, now that the new wheels are on Lulu, I am well satisfied with the expenditure of both time and funds.

From my experience with him and his work, I have only high praise to offer. The two wheels he made [one front and one rear] are a work of beauty. I wish the remainder of the car looked as good as his work does.

I'm planning to send the two remaining wheels to Bill C [one at a time] to have him make new replacements. Earlier repairs [not well done] are failing and termite damage is beyond repair. His work is so excellent, I wouldn't consider dealing with anyone else. A reminder to myself ... don't screw with success!

After thought ... ask him to include a couple scraps of wood when shipping the new wheels to you. I mixed stain into a high quality marine varnish and tested it on the scrap wood. Stain was added to the varnish until the color desired was achieved. Wood does not always take stain evenly, so mixing stain into the varnish tends to even-out the color application. Clear coats of varnish can always be added to protect the color coat.

Recommend you visit Bill C at: calimerswheelshop.com

You also need to tell him if you are painting or staining your wheels, for staining purposes he'll select the grain of wood that looks the best.......he's made numerous sets of wheels for me, always pleased, I know that there are Amish out there doing wheels for less, but always been very happy with quality of Bill's work....and out of a small, old fashioned shop, too!

Hi bill, these are what I had left over from doing the wheels on my 24db,if you can use some of them let me know.There are six new spokes and ten good used ones.

Are you still interested in getting rid of the spokes. I'm looking at re-building front wheels for my 24 Touring.

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith, Yes I still want to get rid of the spokes ,how many do you need? What else do you need? Bill

I could use all of them that don't have the holes for the rear brake drums drilled in them. Rear wheels have been re-built, but the fronts currently on the car are the wrong size. I have a set of the correct front wheels, but some of the spokes aren't in very good condition.

What are you asking?

Thanks,

Keith

I have 3 new ones and 3 used ones ,the two other new ones don't have the holes drilled, but they would need to have the knob turn down on a wood lathe.I don't know what they are worth,what ever you think is fair and shipping is fine with me. Bill

Guest 1930

Quote..........I don't know what they are worth,what ever you think is fair and shipping is fine with me. Bill ............Thats what this hobby is supposed to be all about, nice gesture

Hey Keith, I lost your e-mail some how,the price you set [25.00] for the 8 spokes is okay,I do'nt know what it cost to ship them. If you will sent me your address I'll sent them and you can sent me a check for all of it Bill

Bill, sent you a private e-mail with my address. Thanks for your trust...

Keith