Re pop bumpbers

19tom40

Has any body used the re-pop bumpers for a 72 Cutlass? I am trying to decide whether to have my bumper replated or buy a re-pop. I would like to know what the perceived quality of the re-pop is.

There was a vendor at Fall Carlisle who had the 68-69-70 repro bumpers. I was unimpressed. The display articles had grinding marks clearly visible under the chrome.

Guest palosfv3

I just expierienced a front repop bought through one of the larger old car/ muscle car part vendors. I was told at the time of ordering the Taiwan stuff was not really all that great and they were replating these to make them acceptable. When received the front bumper plating looked ok but when installed on the car you could see the poor quality of the stamping . Not so much that it didnt fit ( they never had a great fit from GM when new ) but the top face of the bumper was very irregular and was not parallell to the leading edge of the upper bumper . I would not recommend one .

You will ultimately find the case with most of the bumpers of this era is that original NOS GM stock fit was OK but plating quality could be inconsistent. Most of the replated bumpers were very problematic even when these cars were new since when hit the shape form of the bumper distorted . Replaters straightened to what they thought was the correct shape and chromed. When received and fitted to the car most had to be twisted or bent to fit the car which would usually result in the chrome fracturing. Its no different today.

My recommendation would be to make sure your original bumpers fit properly before removal from the car and check to make sure they have not been plated before sending them out for best results. Select an old car expierienced plater that understands what it takes to make it right . Unfortunately there are not that many of these guys around anymore. Most big cities have one or two platers that you can count on to produce good results the first time but its hard to determine which referral meets your needs and expectations . A quality replate of a good original bar will probably be in the $1k or better range especially if you want a straight unwavy bumper.

Pic of top of repop front bumper , Tape is to reference the edge irregularity.

post-48905-143138788911_thumb.jpg

Pic is the greatest but you should be able to see the issue

Edited by palosfv3 (see edit history)

Guest Joe_Varley

The ones I have seen are not good. A guy I know recently bought a rear repop for a '71 SX and after it was on the car it looked like crap, very wavy and poor fit, so he bought a core and had it plated here in Phoenix. I recently had 2 '66 Starfire bumpers done for $950 at a Metro Plating in Mesa, AZ and they are beautiful.

Joe Varley

AZ