Can't find CV axle

xdmn

Am replacing the axles in my 89 Turbo 2 TC and am having one heck of a time finding axles. I would imagine it is partially due to the ABS system and special axle. What do you folks do in this case? I am located in California central valley, near Modesto. Know anyone that rebuilds these?

Any help is appreciated.

Guest StudeDude 01

The issue which you have to look for is the height of the ABS tone wheel on the outer hub. The TC has a lower profile tone wheel than you'll find on other Chrysler axles. If the higher profile unit is used, it will destroy the ABS sensor. Having said that, A1 Driveshaft has rebuilt 2 axles for me with success. They have different locations throughout the country but I'm not sure about your area...

I suspect the TC axles would rebuild like any other fwd drive axle, and probably take the same kit (at the rebuilder) as similar, regular Chrysler axles.

The height of the tone wheel's teeth is a significant issue! This is where the ABS gets it's wheel speed reading for the respective wheel, to monitor and adjust the ABS activities. The clearance "gap" between the tone wheel's teeth and the sensor is critical, BUT I also suspect it might have a limited amount of adjustment in it on the mounting bracket -- just a guess, all things considered.

The other issue is that, as in other areas of reman parts, there are varying qualities of the new boots a rebuilder might use, plus the grease. Therefore, I'd recommend you ask if the particular rebuilder uses OEM-spec level quality of boots, lube, and the retainer clamps for the boots.

IF the tone wheel height is the issue it might be, then I'd recommend you look for a local/regional rebuilder who can do them "while you wait" rather than purchasing something already done from a re-seller, with all due respect. If it was a more common Chrysler product, no issues, though.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest BarelyFit

I don't know. I see advance auto has them, although the site says it is not for the TC. That being said I do trust Hemi, as do many here. He has never steered us wrong.

Appreciate everyone's help. Called a few local parts houses and none of them could get either a rebuilt or new axle for the TC specifically. Most local shops said they stopped rebuilding CV joints a while back. Ended up getting a new axle for a LeBaron, measured it twice and found it to work. The collar for the ABS sensor tapped off the old axle and onto the new one no problem. Was a real pain getting the stub axle separated but prevailed eventually. Just need to finish prepping the head to get it back on and we will see how it works.

New problem though..... the bushings were shot for the sway bar. Ordered Moog bushings for the inner and outer sway bar. The outer ones look like they will fit ok, however, the inner ones are very different and don't appear to fit. The "U" saddle that they fit into does not look anything like any part of the new bushing. Moog part # K7222 is the part that I have and it continues to come up as the right part no matter what parts house I look at. Anyone have any experience with this? Do you just have to force these into the saddles? This looks like something that wears out easily with the stock bushings so I would imagine someone has dealt with this.