Chrysler correct colours for engine components.

Guest Executivekev

Guest Executivekev

I am restoring a 1933 Chrysler CO6, it is an interesting car as it was owned by Al Capone.

The question I have is what would be the correct colour for the fan, oil filler cap and dipstick. At the moment they are red which I think is incorrect.

Also the cylinder head nuts, is chrome acceptable.

I do thank you all in advance for your help. My specialty is Rolls Royce but I do have a few customers with antique American cars and have found myself restoring a couple of Chryslers, which is a pleasure.

Kevin.

If the sources I've read are correct, Al Capone was in prison from May 1932 until November 1939. Seems unlikely that he'd have needed a car during that time. :)

I would be surprised if the colors used on Chryslers were much different than those used on other Chrysler built makes like Plymouth. The Plymouth colors of the era are listed at Plymouth Engine Compartment Paint and Color (PC, PCXX and PD are the engineering codes for the 1933 year cars). The WPC club probably has a list of colors available that might be more accurate for you CO6.

Guest Executivekev

Al Capone was being transferred from Atlanta state prison to Alcatraz Prison.

Al Capones organization were instructed to plan Capones escape and organize for him to be sent abroad for safety. Al Capone would be sent to Alcatraz on the famous 'Great Train' which had been designed to run into the prison by means of a ferry.

The organization had planned to detain the train, liberate Al Capone and smuggle him to the safety of a foreign country. Chrysler 6 sedans were sent to France, New Zealand,Canada, and Great Britain in readiness for Capones escape not knowing at the time which destination it would be.

Plans to detain the Great Train failed and capone was imprisoned on Alcatraz until the late 1940s where he was still in control of his various business organizations. This Chrysler was the actual car which was sent to Great Britain in Readiness for capones escape. the car was impounded by the British Authorities upon entry to England and was sold in 1936. The car was on display in the 70s at the History on Wheels Museum at Syon Park in the UK. This information was taken from the many documents the customer has.