Sign in to follow this  
rj27buick

1927 Buick Questions

To All,

I just purchased a 1927 Buick 2dr Sedan. Solid car. My initial intent was to upgrade the suspension and put a small v6 Buick motor in it to have a fun driver. But after looking at the engines condition I decided to see if I could get her running. Put a new coil in and fixed one of the wires and was able to get good spark to the plugs. If I spray starter fluid into the cylinders it actually runs albeit for a short period of time. Took the carb off and cleaned it good - replaced the cork float with a wine bottle cork?? - its all I had! The vaccum pump was bone dry and had a lot of sludge so I mounted a small lawn mower tank in its place and direct fed into the original fuel bowl. Shop manual says gas is gravity fed from the vacumm pump - not sure that is accurate - but thought if that is true my simple in line gas tank should work temporarily to see if she runs. Still don't think I am getting the proper gas flow from carb. I read another thread on our site and heard about the conversion to down draft. Is that as simple as it sounds and looks? I would appreciate any pointers from the experts out there - this is a first for me. Still thinking converting to newer engine, suspension etc. but now I am on a mission to get it running. Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes it`s as simple as it sounds,but you need down droft carb.and an electric fuel pump too.I did`t years ago but coudn`t see any less fuel consuming so I still have all the original parts in my 1925-25 model (touring)and have had it since 1970 wihtout any problems.Vacum pump works great but needs to be filled up every spring when starting the engine first time every year.

Leif in Sweden.

If you don`t have a Motor Car Operation and Care book for 1927 Buick Standard model or reference Book for your car you should bay one,that`s the best you can do.You can try on BCA Bay and Sell at the first,but you can also try E-Bay Motors.

Leif in Sweden

I have converted both my 26 and 27 Buicks to downdraft carbs. and electric fuel pumps. They both work excellant. You turn intake over and block heat tubes off. I used stromberg single barrel carbs off 40's dodge cars. I might be able to e-mail pictures. good Luck

Steve

Thanks - if you have any pics that would be great. Any explanation on how to close up the heat tubes would be helpful as well. I found another owner also used single barrel Rochester carbs - I guess similar to your stromberg.

Where did you locate the fuel pump - near the gas tank in the rear or near the engine? Can you tell me what brand fuel pump you used - 6volt?

Hi Rj,

Welcome to the world of pre-war Buicks!

This is the type of fuel pump Leif is suggesting.

6 volt Fuel Pump Buick 1932 1931 1930 1929 1928 1927-can be primary or support | eBay

This current thread "1928 Buick" has a good discussion about downdraft carbs near the end.

Please remember to save or sell any of the parts you take off. (There is a Buick Buy/Sell forum on this Buick site) Others who are restoring their Buicks might be looking for those parts, and it can help finance your improvements.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)